Problem with Windows 7 installed on SSD

Regal2600

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
I have a situation that I can't seem to figure out. I installed my first SSD (Patriot Inferno 60GB) and have installed Windows 7 on the SSD. First off, my Windows 7 install disk is the Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade Disk, so the only way I could do the installation was to install my previous Windows Vista, which I installed on a pair of Seagate 7200.11 750GB hard drives configured in a RAID 0 array, then install Windows 7 on the SSD. My problem is this, as long as the OS remains on the 750GB pair in the RAID 0 array everything works fine, but if I delete the OS on the RAID 0 array, when I try to boot to the SSD, it will not boot and I am given the message the the BOOTMGR is missing. I have tried doing a startup repair with the Windows 7 installation disk, executing bootsect.exe from the installation disk and nothing seems to correct this problem. The only way that I seem to be able to use Windows 7 on the SSD is to leave the OS on the RAID 0 array. Does anyone have any idea what the is going on here or how to correct the problem. I'd like to have only one Windows 7 OS on the SSD. I am out of ideas....please help!

Totally befuddled....

Gigabyte GA-870A-UD3 Rev. 2.2
AMD Phenom II X4 955 Quad Core Black Edition
COOLER MASTER Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler
Kingston HyperX DDR3 1600 8GB (4GBx2)
XFX HD 5770 1GB DDR5 PCI Express 2.0
Corsair 650TX PSU
(2) Seagate 7200.11 750GB SATA Hard Drives (RAID 0)
(1) WD 640GB
(1) Patriot Inferno 60GB SSD
(2) Asus DVD-RW SATA
Rosewill Challenger Case

Solution
You have to unplug all other drive except for the SSD.
Search on google for "install winows 7 upgrade on new HDD" or someting like that.
There are threads on installing an upgrade without the original installed.

mark_k

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2008
You have to unplug all other drive except for the SSD.
Search on google for "install winows 7 upgrade on new HDD" or someting like that.
There are threads on installing an upgrade without the original installed.

Solution

Pat-V

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2011
That's right. It happened because your hard disks were still plugged when you installed Win 7 on the SSD.

You have only two choices I think. Either:
-unplug your HDDs, you install your old OS on the SSD then upgrade it to Win7. Replug your HDDs afterward.
-or install Win7 on one of your HDD (remove RAID config), create an OS image and clone it on the SSD

The reson you are having trouble is because you are trying to install an upgrade and the only way to do that is to have a previous version of windows installed and that version has to be installed on the HDD that you want to use.Since the upgrade will not be installing the bootmgr it is useing the one from the previous version of Windows. What you need to do is install Vista on the SSD and the do the windows 7 upgrade over that. It used to be that you had to have a previous version of windows in order to do the upgrade version and all you had to do was start the install of rhe windows upgrade and the it would ask you for the dick from the previous version which you would put in the dvd player and it would verify the previous version and then you could continue with the install and it would install all of the files necessary.

Regal2600

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
Hey, guys! Thanks to everyone for your help and replies. I have solved the situation, you were all very helpful.

This is what I did:

1. Disconnected all HD's except for the SSD.
2. Connected SSD to SATA 0 port.
3. In BIOS set SATA ports to ACHI.
4. Re-installed Windows 7 on the SSD. Upgrade disk worked because Windows 7 was already on the SSD, just no BOOTMGR. I had windows format the SSD prior to installation and did a "clean" install.
5. The installation went flawlessly and all boot problems have been solved.

HOORAY! :D

Thanks again for all your input! I should have done a little more research on SSD installations before starting, my bad!

Regal2600

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010

I reconnected my hard drives under the ACHI bios and did not have any problems. In addition to the SSD boot drive on which Windows 7 x64 is installed, I have two Seagate 750GB drives operating as dynamic 1.5TB drive under Windows 7, and a WD 640GB drive. What do you mean by "set your HD's"?

For info, and and others who may read this.
(1) As others have stated disconnect hdd when installing to new drive, be it HDD or SSD.
(2) If using the Upgrade installation disk, Select custom install. Assumes you are doing a legal install - own the qualifing operating system. This allows you to do a "Clean Install" without having the operating system already on the SSD (or HDD).

.. Two methods
A. Install first time without entering key, then re-install a 2nd time (Basicly what Op did)
B. Preered method. Install with out entering key, the do quick registry edit. the a rearm. (Google search on "doing a clean install using Upgrade win 7" for detailes on steps.

justjayhere

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2011

The Best way to do a clean install with Win7 upgrade disk is to ENTER the Serial # BUT uncheck the "Activate when online" box... once fully booted into Windows go the Start, then type CMD in Search Bar (you will see Command prompt up top) RIGHT Click on it and choose RUN AS ADMINISTRATOR (new windows opens giving you a command prompt), now just type: slmgr /rearm (and then press enter) you will see a message that it was successful, now just type: exit (the command prompt window will close) now RESTART computer, once restarted goto "Start", Right Click on "Computer" then select "Properties", scoll down to bottom and Click on Activate Windows to complete the Activation process.