Sign in with
Your question

WD6400AARS too slow

Last response: in Storage
March 12, 2011 8:10:14 AM

Hello guys,

recently I received this disk as a gift, installed Windows 7 on it and set the AHCI standard.

The drive seems REALLY slow, the loading time to log in into Windows is taking too long, opening the applications is taking tons of time, and if you try to multitask it basicly freezes the whole system for a while.

I have never had disk problems before and I really dont know what could be causing problems, or what can I do to fix this.

Please help!

More about : wd6400aars slow

a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
March 12, 2011 8:32:50 AM

Does removing the drive make the problems go away? Can you check and see what DMA mode its in, or check its drive health? Use whatever tools WD has on their site.
March 12, 2011 12:05:37 PM

Thanks for your relpy.

Yeah, once I insert another drive it gets fixed.. :( 

It says its on "ultra dma mode 6" ? dma enabled
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
March 12, 2011 3:47:34 PM

Adding another drive while leaving it in there fixes the problem? \

DMA 6 is a good thing. I'm surprised you're having issues with that as the transfer mode. Perhaps when I wake up I'll have another idea.
March 13, 2011 10:44:31 AM

Yeah, still no luck.. Its the Green series disk from WD, they have some kind of energy saving mode.. :( 
a b $ Windows 7
a b G Storage
March 13, 2011 10:49:08 AM

What fixes the problem, adding a drive or taking that one out? If taking that drive out fixes the problem, the drive is dying/dead. Replace/return it.
March 13, 2011 11:11:43 AM

is it an old drive or new one?

Usually the low disk is due to system and cpu, especially when you have Win7 which takes too much cpu.

Do you have any other PC with xp or other system that you can test whether it was the problem of the disk or the system Win7?

BTW, there are many great pc speed up freeware available, you may see any luck.

And the type of your disk file system might also counts. FAT is slower than NTFS.
!