Gigabyte P55M UD2 Sata boot error

suitaroh1

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Hello,

I recently built a new system and now I encounter this error when booting up.

Serial ATA AHCI BIOS, Version iSrc 1.20E
Copyright (c) 2003-2008 Intel Corporation 23
** This version supports only Hard Disk and CDROM drives **
Please wait. This will take few seconds.

Controller Bus#00, Device1#F, Function#02: 06 Ports, 03 Devices
Port-00: Hard Disk, WDC WD6401AALS-00L3B2

The 23 number in the upper right starts at 10 when I get to this screen and then moves to 23, then the comp stops. I can get to BIOS only after having cleared CMOS. I have cleared CMOS twice. Upon rebooting after clearing CMOS there is a screen allowing me to select working boot config, I choose the last working one (did not work) and the defaults (also did not work) My second HDD is not even detected by this screen. What the heck is going on with my system?

The system is:
intel core i5 750
HSF: Zerotherm Core 92
mobo GIGABYTE GA-P55M-UD2
case: NZXT M59
PSU: OCZ Fatal1ty OCZ550FTY 550W ATX12V
RAM: OCZ Gold 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333
HDD: two Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA
OD: Lite-on 24X DVD+R 24X DVD-R SATA Black 24X DVD Writer LightScribe Support
GFX: MSI N250GTS TwinFrozr 1G OC

roonj

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
Did you originally configure your Sata controller in Ahci mode and install operating system that way?
If not go to Sata controller and configure to Ide mode. Not sure of the language your board and controller are using could be Pata instead of Ide. It appears the controller is currently set for Achi mode and there are drivers required during operating system install for this mode.

suitaroh1

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
@ roonj
Thank you soo much :) Apparently I did configure my controllers to sata mode when I installed windows. I could have sworn they were in ahci. The other OS I use requires that I use ahci in order to work. How should I go about reinstalling Windows where it is now ( I havent activated it so thats not an issue) Or is it possible to change the sata controller mode within Windows?

roonj

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
Since it is somewhat different depending on operating system we'll go the easy way. Your board has 2 different controllers, an intel Sata and a Gigabyte controller. Since I've determined you want both on achi, right? this is the proceedure.
I have to assume the operating system which doesn't boot achi still boots as standard Ide.
If you are using 2 drives temporarily disconnect the other drive. Plug the drive which doesn't boot achi but Does boot standard sata into the other controller and set bios to standard sata for that temporarily and start drive, all ok proceed. Reboot go to the original controller we unplugged from in bios and set it for achi. Reboot, system will load achi drivers for that controller into system and ask you to reboot again. All ok now shut down and replug into the original controller still in achi mode and should run ok. If all ok reconnect other drive and reset that controller back to achi as well. If you are using one drive with dual boot you skip unplugging and replugging of the ghost drive. This will work even if one is XP but only because you have 2 controllers, a nice feature.
If the OS is Xp and you cannot boot even using standard sata before attempting this you need to consider reinstall of xp. This will require you to have the motherboard driver disk available during install.

TRENDING THREADS