baldbrad

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
Hello all,

i ran CPU-Z on my new build and my core speed is jumping all over the place. all the way from 800 mhz up 3.1. I can see the Multiplier jumping from 4 up to 15.5.

i have vista64 and made sure i DLed the 64 bit version of CPU-Z.

The mobo i am running is a gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P. Would like to up OC this cpu to around 3.5 but kinda freaked that my Multi is jumping all over the place.

nads555

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
dont be alarmed i guess u must have enabled easysaver which comes with ur Gigabyte drivers..... its a utility which throttles the cpu as per the tasks done on the comp....... i have the same proccy so dont worry it saves a lot of power....... if u want to switch it off n let ur proccy run at stock speed of 3.1Ghz then just start the easysaver program from the start menu from withi gigabyte folder n turn off the large green button on the right side of the interface (thats the on/Off switch) n close the program..... remember if u turn it on n close the program it will be on powersaver mode after ur reboot toooo....... n i guess thst what u have done with ur system...... dont be afraid n switch it off n check it back with CPUZ..... let me know if it works......

nads555

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009

there must be some powersaving option in the overdrive console pls check it.... the cpu throttles n the voltages goes up n down due to power saving feature which r made into the mobo nothing to worry guys.............

baldbrad

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2007
i didnt install easysaver, also i started World of Warcraft up in window mode and looked at AMD overdrive and it still showed the multi jumping up and down from 4 to 15.5.....

nads555

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009

i m not aware of AMD overdrive cause i have never used it..... mebbe it must have an option of power saving or something of that sort.... changing value from the bios is not advisable (though u r running at stock spped that is meant for overclocking)....... it is definetly some software or ur BIOS must have started the powersaving mode.....( i have another mobo for my P2 X2 550BE).... cause i checked in my bios my cpu multiplier is still in auto....(which should be the default spd at which the company ships the proccy) anyway if this solves ur problem then its gud..... :D

loneninja

Distinguished
Welcome to AMD cool n quiet, a feature that I believe has been on all processor since Athlon 64 was released. It throttles your cpu clock speed by changing the multi and voltage to save power. Xp required special drivers installe for it to work, while Vista/7 have those drivers by default. If you want to get rid of it just disable it in the BIOS, or just overclock as Gigabyte doesn't allow cool n quiet to be used when you overclock unlike other manufacturers.