demithyx

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
Hey guys,

I hope u can tell me more about sata iii.

Also is it worth to get a western digital black 1tb 6gbit/s? or just a sata ii ?

Lastly , not sure i had read wrong but is it possible that if i have a motherboard that supports sata iii and i were to use it , does it reduce my PCI express from x16 or x8?

Thank you for your time. :D

tecmo34

Administrator
1) Here is information on SATA III: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serial_ATA

2) SATA III is only worth the cost difference on SSD's versus hard drives. SATA III hard drives don't exceed the throughput of SATA II ports, so there is no real benefit... IMO

3) Yes, I have seen a few Gigabyte motherboards when they were first released with SATA III have that bottleneck. The SATA III & PCIe shared bandwidth. I don't see this on ASUS boards or newer Gigabyte boards, among the othe makers.

demithyx

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011

Thanks a lot for the info .

Regarding the 3rd question..
I would not really get increase speed with sata iii on the newer motherboard with western digital black?

Not really, I have the Sata III WD black on a sata III controller (bad investment). The only increase in performance is in burst speed, Bottom line - If it cost no more than a sata II, go for it. If more expensive than say samsung F3 1 TB, then get the Samsung F3 1 TB.

demithyx

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011

So in the end having Sata iii is a little useless huh . Was looking forward on the speed increase with it .

Thanks for the info . Appreciate it . :)

The benifit of Sata III is with the newer SATA III SSDs. While Sata III SSds do not have a big boost for the 4k random read/writes and it does not effect access time, there is a good jump in sequencial read/writes. For this reason most users will see little performance boost in "daily operations". However, when they inprove on the 4k random read/writes then the benifit should be noticable. Benchmarks are benchmarks, it's the operating performance that counts.

The high seq performance of Sata III should give a big performance boost to working with large spreedsheets, Cad/cam files, DVD movie files (.VOB are 1 gig) and Blu-ray files can be up to 40 gigs in ONE file (NOT may are going to put that on an SSD). Also working / editing large photo can benifit from high seq read/writes.

TRENDING THREADS