Sign in with
Your question

Excessive Hardware Interrupts When System Not Idle

Last response: in CPUs
September 26, 2009 5:01:48 AM

Hi all,
I have had a problem with Hardware Interrupts using a large portion of my CPU usage. I noticed it about a year ago.
It has gotten worse and worse to the point now where my system just crawls when trying to perform any task. I have not installed anything new in a year and have always had an ext. hdd, a p/s 2 port wireless mouse/keyboard and a USB wireless mouse/keyboard
Sys stats:
XP Home ed (SP2)
Intel(R)
Pentium(R)D CPU 2.66GHz
1GB of RAM
Any other info needed just ask

Thanks in advance
a b à CPUs
September 26, 2009 5:48:37 AM

Maybe a reinstall might help.
September 26, 2009 6:08:09 AM

LOL probably, of what though?
Related resources
a b à CPUs
September 26, 2009 8:36:16 AM

Windows. Should get rid of any clutter/viruses.
September 26, 2009 9:45:40 AM

amdfangirl said:
Windows. Should get rid of any clutter/viruses.

I would prefer if I can isolate the problem before jumping to a drastic measure such as a complete format
a b à CPUs
September 26, 2009 10:17:09 AM

Just remove any crap you have.

Just see what CCleaner can do. It removes temporary files and might speed stuff up.

Make sure your Anti-virus is up to date.
September 26, 2009 10:36:53 AM

amdfangirl said:
Just remove any crap you have.

Just see what CCleaner can do. It removes temporary files and might speed stuff up.

Make sure your Anti-virus is up to date.

Anti-virus is updated daily.

I've run ccleaner and it cleared some crap but the interrupts are still there in full force.

Any other suggestions? I sooo dont want to have to format :sweat: 
a b à CPUs
September 26, 2009 12:26:06 PM

try a second windows install to a blank hard drive(or partition) if you have one to see if that fixes the problem.

what exactly is the problem

"hardware interrupts" is kinda generic and non-descriptive.
September 27, 2009 2:50:02 AM

rand_79 said:
try a second windows install to a blank hard drive(or partition) if you have one to see if that fixes the problem.

what exactly is the problem

"hardware interrupts" is kinda generic and non-descriptive.

Okay rand_79 I've never done it before but I'll try the second window installation.

Does it have to be a completely blank partition or drive? and how would I choose which windows installation I want to load up?
a b à CPUs
September 27, 2009 6:56:02 AM

well ideally you would disconnect your current drive and do a fresh install.

if you dont . it will put a bootloader and a menu at the beginning to load windows.

Can you describe the problem any better.
I'm sure while you are thinking its descriptive, since we cant read your mind
its not really that informative.

I recommended a fresh windows install because
if you still have a problem after this its a hardware problem
not a windows problem.

If you dont have a problem.. then it was a software problem
September 27, 2009 7:16:46 AM

Okay thanks for the info on the bootloader rand_79.
So by fresh install you mean format and reinstall windows without the Ext HDD or just install another windows without the Ext HDD?

Ill try to be more descriptive and if theres any specific info you need to know just tell me.

Like I said the interrupts started to appear about a year back when I would do pretty much anything, from open/max/min/close windows explorer or internet explorer to copying and pasting, to watching a movie.
Once the program has done what I ask it the interrupts settle down until the next command I give. I dont know what is interrupting what all I can see is "hardware interrupts" using most of my CPU usage in Process Explorer.

I'm not sure if this could have anything to do with it but the RAM on my computer died a couple months ago (July 09) and when I replaced them with 2, One Gigabyte sticks it only reads as One Gig total RAM. They are within my Mother boards specs.

Hope this has made some sense.
!