New home built pc died

mjz

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
Heres my system

Nvidia Geforce 9800GT

OCZ Platinum Edition 8GB (4 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Quad Kit Desktop Memory Model OCZ2P8008GQ

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor

PC Power & Cooling S75CF 750W EPS12V SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Power Supply

ASUS M4A79 Deluxe AM2+/AM2 AMD 790FX ATX AMD Motherboard

Ok so i just built this pc like a week ago and today it wouldn't load the operating system. I hooked up my harddrive my old pc to see if it had any issues but could find nothing wrong so i just formatted it and reinstalled windows 7. Everything seemed to of went smoothly i installed empire total war and was playing for about 30 minutes when all of a sudden my pc shut down. I tried rebooting it to check the temp and see if it overheated but it wouldn't start i took the side off to check all the connection and everything was fine i then tried turning it on with the side off and all of a sudden i saw a spark and a small amount of smoke i immediately turned it off and unplugged it after about 5 minutes i tried turning it on but the monitor remained blank. The hard dive and processor seemed to be working so i hooked up my speakers to see if i could hear sound which i can hear fine. I hooked up my video card to my old pc and its not recognizing it so i assume its fried (not a big loss).

Does anyone have any ideas about what could of happend? is there any chance my pc is salvageable? I did see a large carpenter ant inside the case when i took the side off.... Could it of ruined my pc? lol Im scared that if i buy another video card to try It will just fry that one too.

major53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
mjz where did you see the spark and smoke come from video card or motherboard ? if you know where it came from see if a cap may have puffed up on the top of it.

mjz

Distinguished
May 30, 2009
Most of my parts are under warranty but I have no idea whats dameged and dont have a spare video card to see if it even boots up correctly or look at bios or anything

major53

Distinguished
Sep 19, 2007
mjz sense it may be the video card take it out and see if it has any burnt marks on it or if any of the caps are puffed up on the card.if something burnt it going to leave a burnt mark some where.

TRENDING THREADS