Crossfire 4890 Low FPS

ilikegirls

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
So i just got my seconed 4890 and wanted to ask eveyone if the fps im getting now it to low for what i have

Pc is

CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor (OC 3.4)
GPU 2x 4890 xfx
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-MA790GP-UD4H AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD
Ram: 4GB Gskull

So on L4D everything at the highest posible settings i get 130 fps and on crysis i get 30fps with 4aa

this is at 1600x1050

so please tell me what you think so i can see if i need to return this

I say overclock your CPU to see if that helps. Your numbers are a little low for L4D, but that's probably due to your two 4890s being held back by your CPU. As for Crysys, that's actually not a bad framerate if you're running it in DX10 very high 1680x1050 with 4xaa. Crysis doesn't like ATI cards much, and seems to show an increased CPU overhead with crossfire, and crossfire generally already has some significant CPU overhead, which can actually give lower results than using a single card.

ilikegirls

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
Thanks for replying but the sad part of this is that i get the same fps when the seconed one is not inside the pc so i guess its bad ! or should i try to overclock the cpu a little faster

daedalus685

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2008
Are you sure crossfire is working correctly? Check that both cards are loaded with gpuz.

FPS depends on a lot of factors. If you have crysis on max settings with 4aa it will eat even the best of systems, though crossfire 4890's should be better than that. I average more fps than that (40's usually, cant remember exactly) at a higher resolution with 4aa and enthusiast.. so take that for what it is worth.

ilikegirls

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
Thanks again for the replys but looks like the best idea right now is to just give this back to newegg and get a 295 insted or do you think a 4780x2 will work ? even though this whole thing didnt !

How to check:
1) Run a Futuremark benchmark and COMPARE to similar systems

2) Look up some benchmarks online (either by looking up the HD4890 in Crossfire or finding your CPU benchmarks which include your 4890 in Crossfire)

3) Run various benchmarks with a single card then reinstall the second card and compare results (results will vary wildly depending on game or benchmark. If your really concerned try to replicate an online benchmark that shows your CPU results with one and two 4890s)

Well the L4D ones seem a tad low, I have a Q6600 @ 3GHz and get about the same FPS with one 2900Pro 1GB at those settings. But then again L4D uses Source which does have very good multicore rendering and as well is very CPU dependant in the end.

I would also try to make sure that CF is working properly though because 2 4890s should give better than 30FPS at those setting in Crysis for sure.

That or get a 4870X2. Those are pretty bad ass cards overall and Source sure likes ATI cards betetr than nVidia since it was built and optimized on the 9800XT.

ilikegirls

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
Well thanks again for replying and strangestranger, im sorry i wasnt clear about everything! i have tried troubleshooting for a whole day with forms, but your right i should try to troubleshoot some more. ill sit this weekend and try to understand whats going on ill even format my hardrive if i need!