Sign in with
Your question

Starting from Scratch

Last response: in Systems
June 23, 2009 6:12:10 AM

Hello there. I am a first time builder and I have read the guides a few times and understand what I need in order to build my computer but due to my lack of experience I feel like I need to have "the best of the best", even though this is not conducive to my budget. Hopefully you guys can point me in the right direction

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: Within the next three months

BUDGET RANGE: $500 - $600

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: Gaming (Primarily Aion but am interested in upcoming FPS's as well); Codng; Media editing/conversion; watching videos; surfing and downloading from the web

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: Monitor

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: Anything that uses USD

PARTS PREFERENCES: No preference really but I would like quality parts. I plan on triple booting this with Windows, Linux, and Mac OS X. To my knowledge OSX is only supported on Intel cpus but I have read that some have been able to setup a hackintosh using AMD so...

OVERCLOCKING: Yes

SLI OR CROSSFIRE: Yes, now or eventually depending on cost

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1024x768. I will be using my HDTV as my primary monitor until I move, so it would be nice if the graphics card was capable of higher resolutions as well.

ADDITIONAL COMMENTS: I need at least one HDMI port in this. I do alot of multi tasking. I would also like it to be relatively quiet with a midsize case, if possible. However if a bigger case is required to avoid overheating, I can handle that. In any case, thank you in advance for the help. I can see you get quite a few these requests and the fact that you responded to mine is much appreciated.

More about : starting scratch

June 23, 2009 6:57:37 AM

If you are in no hurry to get the PC any time soon, then wait till max September as intel will be launching the i5(New socket - New CPU) for the mainstream market...Then you can get an intel setup for that budget of yours...Not that you cannot get one now...but it would be based on the now dead socket LGA 775...
As for AMD, you have good choices like the AMD x3 720...but I am not sure of its support for the MAC OSX...But you seem to have an idea that it would...
Finally it depends when you want to get your PC put together...
June 23, 2009 3:42:40 PM

gkay09 said:
If you are in no hurry to get the PC any time soon, then wait till max September as intel will be launching the i5(New socket - New CPU) for the mainstream market...Then you can get an intel setup for that budget of yours...Not that you cannot get one now...but it would be based on the now dead socket LGA 775...
As for AMD, you have good choices like the AMD x3 720...but I am not sure of its support for the MAC OSX...But you seem to have an idea that it would...
Finally it depends when you want to get your PC put together...

I might be able to wait that long. Are the 720 and i5 going to be somewhat comparable to each other? Another thing is that September is going to be an expensive month for me. Would you suggest buying everything at the same time or could I pickup parts as I go with the i5 being the missing piece until September? Thanks for your help.
June 24, 2009 4:33:49 AM

^ There will be different i5 CPUs...
So only when it is released, we could compare the same price range CPUs(i5 and the X3) and maybe you can expect faster AMD CPUs @ the current X3 prices...

But I highly doubt that any i5 CPU would be that cheap as now you can get the X3 for $120, which might be replaced by newer CPU and would have a significant price drop then...
Currently there is wonderful combo with an ASUS 790GX AM3 mobo for about $195 @ newegg...
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?Ite...

And as you are saying that September would be an expensive month, then you can buy the CASE, PSU, HDD now as the rest of the components would see a drastic reduction in prices then as their newer-counterpart would be released by then...
!