Dell Dimension 2400 accomodating Radeon 9250

histadista

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
Hello,
I have a Dell Dimension 2400 Desktop my computer consultant "guru" attempted to "upgrade" with ATI RADEON 9250 video card to eliminate slowness and jerkiness running Visual Pinball software. Since then I fixed the original problem in about 2 seconds without spending a penny by following computer manufacturer's note to advance hardware acceleration setting to maximum and removed that card he installed. Performance wise its like getting a brand new computer. If I wasn't as experienced a pinball player as I am I would probably end up backing off on rubber resiliency settings so I could keep up with it. Emailing and other functions go really fast.
I still have the problem my computer consultant made for me to deal with. I remember him saying he did something the computer didn't like to accommodate that card. As a result, the picture size has changed so much that about half the desk top icons are missing and the clock and all bottom icons are gone and picture clarity has gone to hell in a hand basket. When I boot up computer I get a message about some picture settings being at a low level and to "click on this balloon to fix the problem". When I click on it balloon disappears and I get another message about icons being too big to display them all and asking if I would like Windows to fix the problem. When I click on yes the second message disappears and nothing gets done.
Does anyone have any idea what settings might have been tinkered with and how to find and fix them?
Regards,
histadista
P. S.
I have a very lightly used ATI RADEON 9250 video card complete with installation CD and original box, all in like new condition I am thinking very seriously about selling, and a good condition Turtle Beach Santa Cruz sound card(something my computer consultant "guru" also recommended that turned out to be something I also have no use for)without any CD or box but with one cable, I am also thinking about selling.

histadista

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2009
Thank you for getting back to me ,
I have eliminated the need for any card other than what Dell included in CPU tower. Monitor cable plugs in directly to original video output Dell intended. Could it be I should rerun original installation CD Dell provided with Dimension 2400 to recover missing parts?
Here are the messages that flash on the screen as booting up proceeds.: First Balloon: sub balloon with an "i" in it. "Display Settings Your computer's screen resolution and color depth are currently set to a very low level. You can get a better picture by increasing these settings. To do this click this balloon." After clicking on it not much seems to happen. Soon after first balloon, this next balloon appears with these words.:"Do you want Windows to automatically correct your screen and color settings?" Yes and No buttons to click on also provided in second balloon. After clicking on Yes not much seems to happen. When I click on Start for start menu, third balloon appears for short time along with start menu with these words:"There is not enough room to show all the icons you have added to the start menu. There is not enough room to display them. Please choose smaller menu icons, choose a smaller number of items, or unpin some items." These icons used to be smaller but they became enlarged when the problem started.
Given the above information, does it seem like I should rerun installation CD provided by manufacturer for this unit or do something else?
Regards,
histadista