E7400 wont fit in an an Asus P5N-D

Tyrannosaur25

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
i just got an Asus P5N-D motherboard, and the heatsink for my CPU wont fit on it.

the holes all match up, but theres is too much space between the surface of the board, and the anchoring part of the heatsink pins, which is making it impossible to connect it.

both the CPU and mobo are LGA-775 socket, so im finding this really strange.

the heatsink is fine, as i just took it off another mobo and theres no damage to anything on it. its as if, on the asus mobo, the CPU locking device is too high, which is preventing the pins on the heatsink from connecting properly.

its the standard heatsink that comes with all C2D CPUs.

anyone have an idea on how i can get around this? it feels like if i push too hard, the mobo is gonna snap. i know theres meant to be alittle bend in it with LGA 775 but my heatsink doesnt even mount corrrectly.

any help on this would be greatly appreciated. thanks

daship

Distinguished
Either you put the CPU in wrong, whoich will bend the pins inside and break your motherboard, or you didnt reset the cooler pins back to lock mode properly which will make the legs high, or your coolers is contacting ram or a capiciter or something.

The best thing to do is make sure you turn all the cooler pins clockwise with the legs pusheed all the way in, and take the motherboard out of the case so you can see whats going on.

ulysses35

Distinguished
providing your CPU & HSF are stock items then your mobo should be designed with the dimensions from Intel as the base line.

Im guessing the pins on your HSF are in the locked position - making them seem shorter than they need to be. Make sure the pins are fully extended before trying to attach it