In game cheats not working

I seem to be having a problem with the in game cheats. "Motherlode" is the
only one I can use. I have University installed so I should be able to use
every cheat. I have tried using "boolProp snapObjectToGrid True/False" (Only
true or false at one time. "boolProp constrainFloorElevation True/False" (
again only true or false at one time. "MoveObjects on/off" and none of them
work. I tried putting in the postprocessing cheat to make sure everything
was enabled and it crashed the game after saying something about "Unable to
utilize shader".

Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong. Certian cheats would make it
so much easier to build houses the way I want to but I just can't seem to
get the bloody cheats to work. Any help would be greatfully appreciated.

shanemcknight@bellsouth.net wrote:
> I seem to be having a problem with the in game cheats. "Motherlode" is the
> only one I can use. I have University installed so I should be able to use
> every cheat. I have tried using "boolProp snapObjectToGrid True/False" (Only
> true or false at one time. "boolProp constrainFloorElevation True/False" (
> again only true or false at one time. "MoveObjects on/off" and none of them
> work. I tried putting in the postprocessing cheat to make sure everything
> was enabled and it crashed the game after saying something about "Unable to
> utilize shader".
>
> Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong. Certian cheats would make it
> so much easier to build houses the way I want to but I just can't seem to
> get the bloody cheats to work. Any help would be greatfully appreciated.

Be sure you're typing them correctly. The move objects cheat is:

move_objects on/off

and the snap objects one is:

boolprop snapobjectstogrid true/false

In your example above, you had snapObjectToGrid (don't leave out the
"s" in "objects" - also, I don't know if upper/lower case counts in
those cheats or not. That could be a problem, too.

Laura

Well, the cheats are case sensitive (at least in my case) - boolprop I
usually type without capitals and the principle seems to be lower case for
the first word and then capitalise the first letter of each word thereafter.
So,

moveObjects on

boolprop constrainFloorElevation false

However, it does vary and some people can use other forms for the cheats and
I think I've heard/read some people say they don't need to get the
capitalisation right. I see Laura already said you can type move_objects
on - be aware this does not work for everyone (i.e. it doesn't work for me).
I think the best thing to do is try out various combinations. Make sure you
get the spellings right (if you're European or English or Antipodean or
whatever - it's American spelling (neighborhood) and don't miss the 's' from
objects) and also the right words. I had trouble with the changeLotZoning
cheat trying to change a lot to 'commercial' until I realised it was
'community'. Oh, and it's a good idea to turn off any cheats you've turned
on because not all of them reset when you restart the game - you can get
lot/family file corruption that way.

Best wishes
Maxon

<shanemcknight@bellsouth.net> wrote in message
> I seem to be having a problem with the in game cheats. "Motherlode" is the
> only one I can use. I have University installed so I should be able to use
> every cheat. I have tried using "boolProp snapObjectToGrid True/False"
(Only
> true or false at one time. "boolProp constrainFloorElevation True/False" (
> again only true or false at one time. "MoveObjects on/off" and none of
them
> work. I tried putting in the postprocessing cheat to make sure everything
> was enabled and it crashed the game after saying something about "Unable
> utilize shader".
>
> Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong. Certian cheats would make
it
> so much easier to build houses the way I want to but I just can't seem to
> get the bloody cheats to work. Any help would be greatfully appreciated.

I write the following cheats in the following format, and they work

boolprop snapobjectstogrid true/false
boolprop testingcheatsenabled true/false
boolprop allow45degreeangleofrotation true/false
moveobjects on/off

--
Morituri Nolumus Mori

MM

"Laura Castellano" <laurita_castellano@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> shanemcknight@bellsouth.net wrote:
> > I seem to be having a problem with the in game cheats. "Motherlode" is
the
> > only one I can use. I have University installed so I should be able to
use
> > every cheat. I have tried using "boolProp snapObjectToGrid True/False"
(Only
> > true or false at one time. "boolProp constrainFloorElevation True/False"
(
> > again only true or false at one time. "MoveObjects on/off" and none of
them
> > work. I tried putting in the postprocessing cheat to make sure
everything
> > was enabled and it crashed the game after saying something about "Unable
> > utilize shader".
> >
> > Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong. Certian cheats would
make it
> > so much easier to build houses the way I want to but I just can't seem
> > get the bloody cheats to work. Any help would be greatfully appreciated.
> >

> Be sure you're typing them correctly. The move objects cheat is:
>
> move_objects on/off
>
> and the snap objects one is:
>
> boolprop snapobjectstogrid true/false
>
> In your example above, you had snapObjectToGrid (don't leave out the
> "s" in "objects" - also, I don't know if upper/lower case counts in
> those cheats or not. That could be a problem, too.
>
> Laura

shanemcknight@bellsouth.net wrote:
> I seem to be having a problem with the in game cheats. "Motherlode"
> is the only one I can use. I have University installed so I should be
> able to use every cheat. I have tried using "boolProp
> snapObjectToGrid True/False" (Only true or false at one time.
> "boolProp constrainFloorElevation True/False" ( again only true or
> false at one time. "MoveObjects on/off" and none of them work. I
> tried putting in the postprocessing cheat to make sure everything was
> enabled and it crashed the game after saying something about "Unable
> to utilize shader".
>
> Can anyone tell me what I might be doing wrong. Certian cheats would
> make it so much easier to build houses the way I want to but I just
> can't seem to get the bloody cheats to work. Any help would be
> greatfully appreciated.

I always have trouble remembering the proper format to write them, too, so
here's what I did. Inside your My Documents/EA Games/Sims 2 folder, you
will find a folder named Config. Create a text file (I used Notepad) and
copy this into it:

intprop censorgridsize 0
boolProp testingCheatsEnabled false

alias m "moveObjects on" "Enables the ability to move normally unmovable
objects" ""
alias m- "moveObjects off" "Disables the ability to move normally unmovable
objects" ""

alias s "boolProp snapObjectsToGrid false" "Lets you move objects off the
grid" ""
alias s- "boolProp snapObjectsToGrid true" "Makes objects snap to the grid"
""

alias f "boolprop constrainFloorElevation false" "Enables the ability to
change terrain even when there is a building on it" ""
alias f- "boolprop constrainFloorElevation true" "Disables the ability to
change terrain even when there is a building on it" ""

alias t "boolprop testingCheatsEnabled true" "Enables a lot of hidden
features that can be accessed by holding shift when clicking on objects" ""
alias t- "boolprop testingCheatsEnabled false" "Disables a lot of hidden
features that can be accessed by holding shift when clicking on objects" ""

alias party "intProp maxNumOfVisitingSims 50" "Allows you to throw big
parties when activated on the neighbourhood screen" ""

alias cash "motherlode" "" ""

alias l "boolprop locktiles true"
alias l- "boolprop locktiles false" "set to false to lay floor tiles to
edges of lot" ""

alias r "boolProp allow45DegreeAngleOfRotation true" "allows users to
rotate any object in 45 degree increments" ""
alias r- "boolProp allow45DegreeAngleOfRotation false"

Once you save the text file (call it userStartup) put it inside the Config
folder. If you already have one in there, just add the aliases part of the
above.

This includes your censor blur removal and tells the game to make sure the
testing cheats are disabled when it starts. The rest of it gives you
"aliases" to use instead of having to type in each individual cheat every
time you want to use it. In the game, I can open the cheat window and type
"m" (without the quotes) to turn my moveobjects on and then open it and type
"m-" to turn it off when I'm done with it. It's the same with all the other
cheats. I made a list of the aliases on a post-it note to stick on the side
of my monitor until I learned all of them. This makes it a lot easier to
use the cheats and it's never failed me. Even typing "cash" is a lot
quicker than typing "motherlode."

BTW, the "party" cheat can only be used in the neighborhood screen BEFORE
you enter the house you want to throw the party in. But it will allow you
to invite as many sims as you want.

HTH

Jeanie

> [...]
> "aliases" to use instead of having to type in each individual cheat every
> time you want to use it. In the game, I can open the cheat window and
> type
> "m" (without the quotes) to turn my moveobjects on and then open it and
> type
> "m-" to turn it off when I'm done with it. It's the same with all the
> other
> cheats. I made a list of the aliases on a post-it note to stick on the
> side
> of my monitor until I learned all of them. This makes it a lot easier to
> use the cheats and it's never failed me. Even typing "cash" is a lot
> quicker than typing "motherlode."
>
> BTW, the "party" cheat can only be used in the neighborhood screen BEFORE
> you enter the house you want to throw the party in. But it will allow you

Call it 'userStartup.cheat', without the quotes.

Just assuming that you have the 'hide file extensions for known file types'
checked in your folder options in Windows Explorer, jeannie.
I always uncheck that as i want to know what extensions files are.
Plus some programs don't work quite right without the extension showing.

Bluegenie2 wrote:
> [...]
>> cheats. I made a list of the aliases on a post-it note to stick on
>> the side
>> of my monitor until I learned all of them. This makes it a lot
>> easier to use the cheats and it's never failed me. Even typing
>> "cash" is a lot quicker than typing "motherlode."
>>
>> BTW, the "party" cheat can only be used in the neighborhood screen
>> BEFORE you enter the house you want to throw the party in. But it
>> will allow you to invite as many sims as you want.
>>
>> HTH
>>
>> Jeanie
>
> Call it 'userStartup.cheat', without the quotes.
>
> Just assuming that you have the 'hide file extensions for known file
> types' checked in your folder options in Windows Explorer, jeannie.
> I always uncheck that as i want to know what extensions files are.
> Plus some programs don't work quite right without the extension

Very true. Thanks for adding that.

Jeanie