j2j663

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Everyone has and needs a good monitor for their OCing adventures. Mine is currently CPUID. I gets the job done but I have never been particularly impressed with it. So I went searching for a replacement to CPUID Hardware Monitor the other day. I just felt like it could use a few more features and a lot more customizable features. So first I went to their website to see if I could get the source code for it and modify it myself but that was to no avail because as I found out CPUID is not an open source app. Well I generally don't like this as I am a very big open source fan.

So I started looking for alternatives. I found one and I am wondering what you all think. It is called Open Hardware Monitor and is surprisingly similar to CPUID. I haven't looked into it but I would be shocked if one didn't come from the other.

Pros:
Extra sensors:
-Voltages includes DRAM Voltage
-Shows all four of my mobo fans instead of just three
-Shows bus speed and clocks of individual CPU cores
-Shows Total and individual loads of CPU cores
-Shows GPU core and memory speed
-Shows GPU load
-Shows GPU voltage and fan speed
-Manual control of GPU fan speed!

Temps can be viewed as graph
All numbers displayed with at least one decimal for accuracy
Can be minimized to customizable, desktop gadget
ALL Sensors can be renamed, hidden, or shown on the gadget or in the tray

Cons:
Lacking sensors:
-No 12V rail
-No PWM fan sensor
-No individual core temps
-No Processor wattage

I cannot say that I have had this tool long but so far so good. I am really liking the customizable parts and am a big fan of the desktop gadget part of it. While I won't be uninstalling CPUID I will be replacing it.

Let me know what everyone thinks of it. Here is the link
http://openhardwaremonitor.org/

Address is invalid, just takes me to http:///

http://openhardwaremonitor.org/downloads/

Ha!, Tells you your SSD's remaining life...

Seems accurate which is unusual for these types of programs, reminds me of everest ultimate.

No program can monitor actual processor wattage. The motherboard circuitry does not exist. The best a program can do is estimate the power usage.

j2j663

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Thanks for fixing that fatal, I don't know what happened there as you can clearly see it should take you to the same place as yours.

And to jsc I have never thought about that but it makes a lot of sense. So much for blindly believing what is put out there. But I do imagine that there are fairly accurate ways to estimate the power usage of a CPU.

So did either of you already know about Open Hardware Monitor? Am I just behind? Or what monitoring program do you like the best?

No problem man :)

I didn't know of OHM, but thanks for telling me about it, seems like a good program.

I previously used GPU-Z for GPU info, CPU-Z and HM for CPU/RAM stats + Temp monitoring. Then MSI AB for GPU overclocking/overvolting.

Can't fault MSI AB and I'll be using OHM from now on to replace CPU-Z, GPU-Z and HM. :sol:

j2j663

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2011
Yeah I am planning on replacing most of those as well. HM is for sure gone but maybe not GPU-Z since it still has quite a bit of useful info on it and I may still look into OC and unlocking shaders on my 6950.

I also like to keep around piriform's speccy for general information. It doesn't really have many sensors but it does show all of your system specs in one place which can be quite convenient sometimes.

Oishlam

Reputable
Nov 8, 2015
sorry for being posting very late to this post but... the first program I have Googled was actually OHM and I never knew CPU-Z, GPU-Z and HM existed until you guys told me! :sol:

Mhnk77

Reputable
Sep 18, 2015
Heeey!
Great program you've suggested.
I've had High LAtency problems in my PC so I started monitoring that with several applications, and I found that both CPUID HW monitor and CPU-Z Caused some latency spikes...
And I just installed OpenHW and there's just no problem with latency, and it looks pretty good, thank you very much for posting about it