Sign in with
Your question

Experienced enthusiast with a question

Last response: in Motherboards
December 18, 2009 3:35:05 AM

Hey guys,

I've been out of the tech scene for a while as I've been at school and working pretty hard for the last year or so. I have a pretty extensive knowledge but I can see things have changed in the time I've spent in hibernation. I just ordered a Asus P7P55 LX motherboard for my new i5/HD 5870 build. Is this motherboard any good? Can anybody recommend it? There is literally no literature on this motherboard anywhere. One thing I noticed is that it is 4+1 phase power design versus 8+2 on most new P55 motherboards. This accounts for a lack of 8pin CPU power on the motherboard. Instead there is a four.

Mack
a b V Motherboard
December 18, 2009 6:02:07 AM

Well your a quick study, other notable limitations are 16 pci-express lanes. This is a limitation of the I5 chip and 1156 socket not related to anyone but intel.
As for is this any good, this is a brand new release and the least expensive offered by Asus. There weren't any reviews located. Correction, found 4 users reviews at newegg.com $119.00
m
l
December 18, 2009 6:33:32 AM

16 pci-e lanes versus what? i dont plan on going dual GPU so i dont think thats a big deal. I understand it is a budget board but I want some concrete, hands on criticism of this board
m
l
Related resources
a b Ĉ ASUS
a c 156 V Motherboard
December 18, 2009 1:13:43 PM

Isn't it kind of late? You are supposed to gather information before you order parts.
m
l
December 18, 2009 2:20:55 PM

jsc said:
Isn't it kind of late? You are supposed to gather information before you order parts.

is that an answer to my original question? no.
m
l
December 18, 2009 5:48:12 PM

I would say its not really a enthusiast board. Less voltage redundancy as you noted. Will make people with older smaller psu's happy that their 4 pin cpu connector is not going in to a 8 pin connector and that they are "mickeying" something. lol. Lack of heat sinks.
Its a Asus, so I'm confident it should all run fine at stock settings in the end. you can let us know.
m
l
December 25, 2009 2:03:50 AM

ok update for you guys if you even care...motherboard is running very nicely, i5@3.2 with stock voltage, memory running at 1600 again with stock voltage. havent tried pushing either of them yet because its my moms computer. not a bad board at all.
m
l
!