Sign in with
Your question

Western Digital WD1003FBYX RE4 Drives Hang Windows 7

Last response: in Storage
March 12, 2011 7:52:45 PM

Hello,
I recently had a RAID0 2-drive array fail. So I purchased 2 WD WD1003FBYX RE4 drives to replace the array. My motherboard is a Super Micro X7DWA-N and the onboard RAID controller is the Intel ESB2 SATA 3.0Gbps. I configured the RAID through the BIOS no problem, and Windows 7 recognizes the drives as a single logical drive no problem as well. The problem is that the OS will completely hang for over 10 minutes at a time consistently (mouse frozen, no keyboard input, display frozen). When the machine is in this state, I can ping it from another machine with no problem. I can also attach to the admin shares and browses all drives on the machine. Also, keystrokes that I enter initially will be executed once the machine returns from its 10 minute freeze.
If I remove the drives and run the OS, there are no problems whatsoever. If I put different drives in the same ports, and run the OS, there are no other problems. If I put the drives back in, the freezes return, essentially rendering the machine useless. Is there a definitive way I can tell whether it’s a problem with the drives, or whether it’s simply that the drives are not compatible with the motherboard/controller combination?
Thanks,
Matt

My specs are as follows:
Windows 7 x64 (SP1)
2 Xeon 2.83 GHz
16GB RAM
Nvidia 285 GTX 1GB VRAM
April 21, 2011 6:34:04 PM

Have you managed to figure out what caused your freeze issue?
I have a similar issue with an EVGA X58 FTW3 board that uses the X58 chipset. My WD hard drive is connected in the first SATA 3.0 Gbps (the Intel controller, not the Marvell one) and it appears in BIOS, but when I run the Windows 7 SP1 setup it does not listed as an available drive.
m
l
April 22, 2011 3:27:33 PM

anonmous69 said:
Hello,
I recently had a RAID0 2-drive array fail. So I purchased 2 WD WD1003FBYX RE4 drives to replace the array. My motherboard is a Super Micro X7DWA-N and the onboard RAID controller is the Intel ESB2 SATA 3.0Gbps. I configured the RAID through the BIOS no problem, and Windows 7 recognizes the drives as a single logical drive no problem as well. The problem is that the OS will completely hang for over 10 minutes at a time consistently (mouse frozen, no keyboard input, display frozen). When the machine is in this state, I can ping it from another machine with no problem. I can also attach to the admin shares and browses all drives on the machine. Also, keystrokes that I enter initially will be executed once the machine returns from its 10 minute freeze.
If I remove the drives and run the OS, there are no problems whatsoever. If I put different drives in the same ports, and run the OS, there are no other problems. If I put the drives back in, the freezes return, essentially rendering the machine useless. Is there a definitive way I can tell whether it’s a problem with the drives, or whether it’s simply that the drives are not compatible with the motherboard/controller combination?
Thanks,
Matt

My specs are as follows:
Windows 7 x64 (SP1)
2 Xeon 2.83 GHz
16GB RAM
Nvidia 285 GTX 1GB VRAM

Are these the ones that have (TLER) Time Limited Error Recovery? IF you don't have another computer to check out to see how the drives work, I would goto a best buy or someone who can revcover your data/run a ChkDSK /f /p!
IF there is problems there always a FDISK utlity that is handy or a low level format, see if WD has some firware for that!
m
l
Related resources
September 11, 2011 4:33:29 AM

Essentially, for a few months, I was not able to use the drives. I then installed the drives and performed a clean install of Windows 7. I've had no problems with the drives since that time. Conclusion: it was a software or configuration problem.
m
l
September 11, 2011 9:17:46 PM

anonmous69 said:
Essentially, for a few months, I was not able to use the drives. I then installed the drives and performed a clean install of Windows 7. I've had no problems with the drives since that time. Conclusion: it was a software or configuration problem.

Always a chance that some virus or spyware or new beta software installed can damage the OS kernel and your configuration! IF last known configuration doesn't work or next higher level of tech support system restore, than its time to do a fresh install of your OS!
m
l
!