Looking for a GLOSSY 26 inch monitor?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lypon

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Price is not a huge object as long as long as you get what you're paying for. I am looking for a glossy screen 26 inch monitor. I recently purchased the Samsung T260 but it is horrible and washed out.

The most important fact is that the PICTURE must be amazing. I need to edit photos, videos and I also watch movies, program, browse the web and of course game a lot.

I fell in love with the LED monitor from Apple. It's $899 but I believe it's worth it, especially for an ISP panel and a LED backlight. However, the monitor is only 24 inches! I need a very good 26 inch monitor with a glossy displays. Under $1000 but over $400.

Thanks.

lypon

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
So, basically I am looking for something on par with the Apple LED cinema display...but 26 inch if possible.

mdale13

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
so basically why dont you just go on newegg and look for yourself. and glossy screens suck. is there is any light sourse shining on it, you wont be able to see the screen.

lypon

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
It's a personal preference and if you can't understand that you have problems. Glossy screens display colors over 2 times better than matte, they look better and they do not absorb like. In many cases, they are actually better than matte.

If you have direct sunlight on a matte screen it will be so washed out you won't see anything. On a glossy screen you will be able to see everything fine but have a reflection.

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
The matt screens use a plastic diffusion layer - like a micro version of a strip lamp diffuser

They reduce quality of detail a Lot.

I am used to a high quality CRT and focus in Really fine detail on everything, tried using a high quality flat screen and couldn't bring it into sharp focus - gave me a headache trying - thought I was doing something wrong almost as did not know it was there at 1st lol

The matt layer gives all text, for example, micro jaggies, and I can see them being very annoying to someone doing fined detailed work.

No way I'd get one if there was a glossy option. is like putting a layer of tracing paper over your artwork before working on it, would be daft lol

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
these screens with the matt diffuser are what has been putting me off finally moving away from my Mitsubishi Diamond Plus 22" CRT for a long time

But my laptop has a glossy 17" screen, is a good improvement on all other flat screens I have used :)

One thought I have been having on this is that perhaps the diffusion layer could be removed and replaced with a suitable sheet of something or other on a screen of your choice ??

blackhawk1928

Distinguished
-Okay first off, here is tip, its might be extremly difficult but here is what to do:
go to www.google.com
then type up Glossy 26'' Monitor for sale"
then you need to work some harder and press on the button "google search" or "enter" then your screen will open another page will display many different results from many different manufactures, find on a link, then you need to click on that link, then once it opens you need to see what on there and decide what you like by reading some reviews :) I know its really difficult and you might end up sweating from all the work:

-Another tip: On a glossy screen you will get lots of glare if you have any light,
-Dont get an LED, as it and all other tv's except for 2 suffer from Burn in Still images. You need either an LCD or a DLP.

LED simply refers to the use of LEDs instead of CCFL (compact cold florescent lamps) to light up the screen. The benefits are:

1. Thinner screens since they take less space.
2. Consumes less electricity compared to traditional CCFL backlight. For a 24" monitor you might be talking about 35w power consumption instead of 45w power consumption. The larger the monitor, the greater the power savings, generally speaking.
3. Allows for wider color gamuts. I believe I've read that some LED backlights have color gamut as high as 140% compared to 74% for standard color gamut. This can be good or bad depending how critical colors accuracy is. Generally, the higher gamut, the more saturated greens are.

LED backlighting does not improve image or color quality, that is dependent on the panel technology. LEDs do not suffer from burn ins to the best of my knowledge since it does not use phosphorus to create light.

The following is a link of 25.5" (rounded up to 26") monitors from Newegg.com

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010190020+1309846874&QksAutoSuggestion=&Configurator=&Subcategory=20&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

For me, the only one worth getting is the NEC LCD2690WUXi2, but it is not glossy. Actually, I have the 1st generation version, LCD2690WUXi.

Here's another link of 26" (rounded up from 25.5") monitors from Newegg.com

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ProductList.aspx?Submit=ENE&N=2010190020+1309823867&QksAutoSuggestion=&Configurator=&Subcategory=20&description=&Ntk=&CFG=&SpeTabStoreType=&srchInDesc=

I have the Planar PX2611w which is paired up to my NEC LCD2690WUXi in a dual monitor setup. Both use a H-IPS panel of the same size. Newegg really needs to simply combine the 25.5" and 26"categories.

I prefer matte finish.

mdale13

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
you will hardly ever find glossy screens in a professional studio of ANY sort. i have worked in a few 3D studios/graphic design studios, and seen professional film editing studio set ups, and NONE of them used glossy screens. the color display is not accurate to what people are going to be viewing in real world settings. sure the colors may look brighter to YOU, but they will look blown out on other peoples monitors.

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007

Well mate...

if everyone went to that length this would be a Very Quiet forum as people would not come here looking to hear peoples opinions as all would have formed their own from reading all those reviews.... and of course it would be rude to ask and presumptuous to wade in here and tell all our experience forum members what they already Should know! :s
You could read reviews all day and still not find that great bit of info someone here might have found to share :)

This topic isn't mega common here - is the 1st time I have seen it brought up (am sure if I search old out of date stuff I will find it mentioned...)

I think you should go a do a LOT more reading before you can be so free with your sarcastic comments, as already pointed out here your knowledge is Rather limited... LED backlighting is just another form of backlighting for the same screens - the conventionaly backlight screens give same "burn in" warnings as these newer LED ones - modern flatscreens are considered immune to burn in - else we would all have start button logo's burnt into them by now... as someone I saw pointed out, the warning is almost like a leftover habit no one chose to remove from screen manuals.

For me I have been partly waiting for flat screen tech to advance some more, so not been particularly searching this info out, and in All the reviews (and online stores I have checked out) I have read, have not seen a glossy option mentioned as available - so was quite interested in this post :)

Texaco

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
I bought the HPw2408h widescreen monitor because of how awesome it looked. I looked online but everybody basically said to go to a store and look at all the models face to face, which is what I did and I am so glad I did that. Went to the local Best Buy and looked at all the usual culprits like Samsung and LG. The salesman asked me if I had seen the HP monitor yet, (I hadn't because it was turned off). He turned it on and I fell in love with it. Very glossy screen which made everything look twice as good as any other monitor on the shelf. Before I bought this I didn't even know there was a matte or glossy finish on monitors, I thought they were all the same. I'm glad I was wrong.

blackhawk1928

Distinguished

-Okay then...let have a polite debate without using very insulting phrases like "your knowledge is rather limited" -lol
-Yes you are right, modern flat screens are optimized and have many features to minimize any burn ins but I was saying that the technology is there and burn-in potental is there but unlikley to happen, okay I will give you that one.

-However, you need to read the OP's post and what he is saying, in his post (technically speaking) he just posted on here wanting other people to find him a TV to buy, in truth there are thousands...no scratch that...millions of review probably out thier on the internet about differen't TV's that will give you all the information you need as long as you know the right keyword to type into your search engine :) If the OP asked on *THOUGHTS* and *OPINIONS* on certain TV's that would be a different story, but from his post i interpreted that he just wanted us to find a TV for him when infact our sources of information are just the same as his are (maybe I am retarted but the internet is the same for everyone, everyone will have the same websites and stuff)! So therefore looking at reviews and researching himself would give him the same results as this forum would give him becuase we would do the exact the same thing! So please dont say my knowledge is limited, thats rude, and no I wont make a comeback and insult for you becuase I dont want to stoop down to your level of making accusations of how much knowledge other people have without knowning them or any information to back it up.

lypon

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
I bought an HP w2558c and it is pretty nice. First off to everyone. If you google search 'glossy monitor' (the poster above said to do that but obviously is too ignorant) it shows up as a matte monitor with glossy sides.

Or how Samsung calls it 'glossy black'. I was just looking for a list of 'glossy' monitors or what monitor you have if it is glossy. Thanks whoever tried to help. Sorry about the ignorant people who because they like matte, think that I should too.

andrewbuki

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009

I just don't understand what's wrong with guys like you - don't you have vertical blinds on your windows, or you have to have a table lamp right in front of the monitor - or you afraid to see a reflection of your own face while screen goes black during startup... c'mon, man. Mate sucks when it's about vivid colors.

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
Sorry to post more here - just chanced accross this just now from a google search on something else and seeing as it has already been ressurected...

Black.... perhaps it is You that need to read the OP's post, just where did you get the idea he was after a TV lol

anyways if you are not sure about your info, don't post it as gossple

and think a little more before posting next time eh
especially when you are having a go at someone!

You really are a sarky sod with nothing to back it up >_<
(and I hate being rude to anyone, but you Really asked for it! I think you are only the 2nd person I have ever said anything like this to on a forum)

Sorry about that folks.

Lightpainter

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2010

HDMI Resolution is 1920 x 1080
A normal 24" monitor is what ever resolution your video card will support. most 24" monitors are now plasma, lcd, and or tft and mostly suck. Along with the great Apple's backlit led moniters which seem to have a lot of problems at the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.