Blue screen of death after installing a third 2GB stick of DDR3

Finzz

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
Hello,

I have been having some problems after upgrading my DDR3 ram and increasing the speed on it. I have an Nvidia 790i Ultra motherboard with G.SKILL 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600mhz (PC3 12800, apparently its low voltage RAM for i7 processors, but it also works with dual and quad cores. Also for the record I am using Windows Vista Home Premium 64 bit.

So here is the story, when I built the computer, I only put in two of the 2GB sticks in slots 1 &3 because I heard it will run faster that way rather than having 1, 2, and 3 being used. It has been running perfectly with the two sticks until the other day, I got tired of that third stick sitting around so I decided to put it in and see if it helps the framerates in my games at all. So I put the stick in the second DIMM slot and boot up. Everything seems to be fine and I ran CPU-Z to ensure that everything was alright. THis is when I noticed that the speed of the RAM was only running at 1200 mhz (600 mhz was the actual rating, but I was told it needs to be doubled to give the actual speed). So I went into my BIOS to see what was up. I went to the FSB and memory settings and I found where to change the speed of the RAM and FSB but it was greyed out. I fiddled with the selection next to it and changed it to 'Unlinked' I believe and then they were no longer greyed out.

The FSB was already set to 1033mhz, which is what my board is rated for, so I left that alone. Then I set the RAM to 1600Mhz, because that is the rated speed. On a side note, I also checked the timings of the RAM and they are all at 9-9-9-24, which is what it is supposed to be and all are getting 1.5 volts.\

So I boot up and read 800mhz in CPU-Z which you double to get 1600mhz, SUCCESS!!!! Or so I thought. Later on I noticed windows was running fairly buggy and lots of times when I try to open or close something, the computer will lagg and then a message will pop up saying "Windows Explorer has stopped working and needs to restart", unfortunately this will result in the internet browser closing. Sometimes, though, everything does not re-appear after windows explorer restarts and I sit at an empty desktop.

I tried to fix this by typing "/sfc scannow" in a command prompt and it scans and repairs everything, but it will tell me it failed at some things and I need to reboot for it to be able to fix it, so I reboot and run the scan again and just get the same thing. Other times it just keeps restarting over and over and I have to reboot the pc. It has gotten better now though and only does it once in a while.
------------------------

Other times I will just be minding my own business and then I get a Blue Screen of Death and something about a physical memory dump. This has happened 2 or 3 times and I should have taken a screenshot, but I didn't. I know it was probably foolish, but I restarted the pc each time instead of waiting for the blue screen to do its thing.

WOW THAT WAS A LOT OF TYPING.
Anyway, can anyone help me with this problem? I know the RAM and the motherboard are compatible, but I can not think of what the problem is? I am running the RAM at the rated speed and the motherboard is compatible with DDRC up to 2000mhz so I don't know what to do except contact G. Skill customer service.

Thanks a bunch for any help!

roonj

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
There are at least 3 different voltage settings for a similar number of versions of Gskill ddr3 pc-12800. One is 1.5v, one is 1.6v and another is 1.65 volt. Find out which one yours is set it correctly. If that was an issue and is now fixed the next problem is corrupted files from memory miswrites. Try scannow again or consider reinstall of OS. There are additional settings in bios for your board but I'm not familiar enough to help you with that.

theLaminator

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Make sure you are running your ram the correct rated voltage. If that doesn't work, try running memtest and see if you get any errors back with it, if yes, then it could be a bad stick

Finzz

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
roonj: I thought I said it's rated at 1.5v in my post because its the low voltage for i7 processors, but sorry if I didn't.

To the others: I will run a memtest tonight and see what I get. And I will check what the blue screen says next time I get it, but it happens randomly.

Earlier last night I lowered the fsb to like 1320 mhz instead of 1333 and the ram to 1585mhz instead of 1600mhz and it seems to be happy now, so I'm still confused because the RAM is rated higher than that. I would understand if I was overclocking so yeah I think its something glitchy with the OS.

I can't do an in-place repair for Vista Can I? I will try the memtest when i get home from work tonight.

Finzz

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
Update: I got the blue screen again, but I only had enough time to write down "PFN_LIST_CORRUPT" because the screen only lasted about 5-10 seconds

I will keep my camera by my computer and see if it does it again, I am doing homework right now and will try the mem test later

Finzz

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
I managed to take a picture of the blue screen. It seems to appear when I am multi-tasking.

I think its either a bad OS file, the stick is bad, or my hard drive is gonna fail. Luckily I have a 1TB External HDD coming in the mail.

http://i49.tinypic.com/2vx40mu.jpg
2vx40mu.jpg

roonj

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
Sorry to bother you, after doulble checking, the Gskill low voltage series which is what you say you have list their voltage as 1.35v. You may be overvolting, if you have the time maybe you can provide the model chip you have and save some time.

Finzz

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009
Update: I ran Windoes Memory Diagnostics tool on the original two sticks (I believe I did standard test with 2 passes) and no errors were found.

Then I ran the Standard test with 2 passes on the third stick and apparently no errors were found. I have no clue what I should do.

I tried burning a copy of memtest86 v4.00 to a cd and I can't get it to boot. I just downloaded the .iso as a zip and burned that whole zip to a cd. That didn't work so I extracted all of the files in the zip and burned those to a cd and I still can't get it to boot.

I am unsure what to do at this point, I'll try running all three sticks again and see if I still get problems.

Not sure why shovenose posted: omg

Finzz

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2009

When I opened the rar, I didn't see a file with an .ISO extension, that's why I was confused. Unless it was a bad download?

@hell_storm: thanks, I'll try that next time I'm home and let you guys know.

http://www.memtest86.com/

Select Free Download and then ISO image for creating bootable CD (Windows - zip) The file contains a file named Memtest86_3.5.iso. You need to burn the image to a CD.