Hard Drive problems

AcedeAce

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
Hey there,

Yesterday I was doing some cable management, like pulling the cables through to the back of my case, and when i tried to turn it on, nothing happened.

I couldn't even boot past BIOS, my pc would just sit there heating up. After a few hours of plugging and unplugging, I finally isolated the problem, my hard drive.

I have a Samsung F3 1TB, and another old IDE drive. I can unplug the Samsung and my pc will work fine but as soon as I plug it in, nothing happens.

Is my drive dead? Is there any way to get the data off it?

mary221

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2011
try to unplug de IDE drive and also its cable.

I hope you haven't touch the electronic board of the hard disk when doing cable management. If you did, and yo cause an static electric short than the HDD board is dead.

Most likelly you have a bad cable.

1)Let me know, the computer starts without the old IDE HD ?
2) the computer starts without the IDE cable?
3) the computer starts without dvd rom plugged?

AcedeAce

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
Thanks for the replies.

I unplugged my IDE hard drive and still nothing. Its working, I can hear it spin up. I did notice an odd buzzing for the first few seconds of boot however, definitely coming from the drive.

What is an MBR problem?

Master Boot record which is on the HDD, this doesnt sound like your problem though.

AcedeAce

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
Ah okay. Any idea on what the problem could be? I've contacted the guys who I bought it from for a replacement but I would really like to get my data off it.

Since this is a SATA drive what happens if you plug the data cable in after the computer has booted into windows? You could try the drive on another machine.

Before you return the drive make sure the SATA data and power cables for the Samsung drive are secure, remove them and reattach them.

Check in the BIOS (if you can get there with both drives on an attached) and verify the boot order is what it should be.

AcedeAce

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2010
I can get into the BIOS with both plugged in but the Samsung won't show up. If I ask it to auto detect I can find the drive as the auto detector will freeze for a little bit when it doesn't on the other slots, but the hard drive info wont show, like the size of it, model number etc.

Thats never a good sign, Try it on another computer or a friends computer see if you can read the data off of it. If you dont have another computer or a friend who could help you could purchase a SATA to USB adater cable, but given how the hard drive is causing the BIOS to freeze it may just be a waste of money.

Did you make any other changes to the computer, unplugging or plugging stuff in?