A-Bentley

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
2dhtvdk.jpg

I'm looking to build a gaming pc which I will also do my website designing on. I'm looking to spend 1200euros including a 22" monitor, as it needs to be big to see clearly when designing. That is what I think would be good for what I want to do, but take a look and tell me your thoughts and give your advice. I am using the site Conrad for my components as its the best place for me to get them as I live in cyprus and most places wont ship things here.

Thanks

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
Two things i notice right away,

Your ram is a 2x2gb kit. Use a 3x2gb kit. Take advantage of the tripple channel memory.

The other thing is I have no idea what hard drive you looking at. I would reccommend the wd "black" 640gb or the wd "black" 1Tb for your hard drive.

A-Bentley

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
14mchhg.jpg

I've changed the ram to a 3x2GB kit, and the HDD is 500GB Hitachi, 16MB Cache, 7200 RPM, 8.5ms access time. Which is more then enough for me as I won't ever fill that much space :D. What about the other hardware tho, Is it good setup?

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
if you don't ever plan on cfing you can probally get away with the crosair 650 if you wanted to save yourself a few bucks

I'm still not sure you want to go with that hard drive for various reasons...speed, capcity (not so much an issue to you), and reliblity....when compairing against wd black line. *shrugs* your call though.

Other than that, seems like it should be a nice rig for yourself

A-Bentley

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
If I can save some money on the PSU as i'm never going to crossfire as I don't feel the need for really high FPS I might spend the extra on a better HDD then, and you recommend the WD black 640GB. Cheers for your advice, Its just I never fill a HD up and this was a top seller on the site I use and was a good price. but i'll check out the WD,

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
IMO WD "black" series is setting the bars for preformance hard drives. IMO WD = good hard drives and all the other hard drive manufactors are trying to catch them right now. If your looking for an engery saver the wd green is also an excelent choice, but if your doing games on this rig i'd reccomend the black. It'll help with load screens and other stuff ect...

A-Bentley

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
Cheers kubes. I think i'll take you advice when and put a WD black into the computer if you really think it will hlp with load times.

Hi...+1 for kubes about the HDD...
And there is another component that you can certainly change - The graphic card...
The card you have chosen has 2GB vRAM but the graphic chipset is not the fastest that you can buy with that money and anyways you wont notice much difference between a 1GB card and 2 GB card @ that monitor resolution...
You should get either the HD 4890 1GB or the GTX 275...They both would perform better than the 4870...

A-Bentley

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2009
Cheers for that gkay09, did a little look and the 4890 is 20euros cheaper and its a little bit better because its only 1GB memory, but they did a test on the 2GB and said its not worth it as it don't use all the memory correctly.

Thanks for the advice

^Yes...2GB video memory are just newer ways to market their costly product to the consumers...At first instance it would be very attractive but if you review it, then it doesn't seem worth it...

kubes

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
when picking a vidoe card, its more important to look at the chipset rathern than the amount of ram it has. Like gkay noted its more of a marketing ploy to boast a big 2gb memory allocation for the card. In live applications its most likely you'll never use all of that up. The chipset/internal guts of your graphics card will be the bottleneck way before you get up to the 2gb mark.