Data Plan vs. Media Net

I currently have T-Mobile service and was planning on getting the $20
data plan they offer shortly.

Well I was at the mall today and went into a store and talked to them
about Cingular which sounds like a better deal to me. First, me and
my fiancee would get the national family plan for $109 where we'd have
2000 minutes to share. The salesman was telling me how for $24.99
they have a unlimited data plan which is important to me. My plans
are to get a Bluetooth phone (a Motorola V551 in this case) and as
well use that with the bluetooth connection to use the internet on
either my PocketPC PDA or Laptop. I do want full internet (complete
web usage). It seems like Cingular has great coverage as well
throughout the country, far better than T-Mobile and for jsut a
slightly higher price and it seems their internet speeds are faster.

Well I got home and was disappointed. I started looking at data plans
on their web page and I see $79.99 for unlimited. I just can't see
spending $80/month for that. Yet I did some research on this
newsgroup tonight and am confused. I see the $24.99 is considered to
be a media.net plan. Most of all, what is the difference between the
data plan and the media net? The more I read on here it seems they
are identical (both full unlimited) so why the two plans? Who would
need the $79.99 plan? I see a lot about a pc card so is it that that
is for someone who doesn't have a voice plan and jsut wants to use it
directly with a laptop/pc card? From what I'm reading on here the
$24.99 plan (which I assume is the $19.99 plan that everyone is
talking about and it just went up to $24.99) is true full internet
that you can use on a pda/laptop. I'm just concerned becuase on the
web site it says how it can't be used that way, how it has to be used
with a wap enabled phone. Is it very complicated to set up and use
the media net connnection everytime and maybe the other is instant
on/alwasy on? For awhile I thought that maybe the $24.99 plan was
simply their slower (dial up speed) connection but yet it seems it
even works with faster EDGE technology. Maybe it will even work with
UMTS. I just don't want any surprises. I will be committing to a 2
year contract if I go with Cingular so obviously don't want to make
any mistakes that i regret. I dont' want to join and then find out
this plan isn't what I expected or more likely use the $24.95 plan for
2 months and then have it 'cut off' where I can't use it on my PDA or
laptop and then have to go up to the $79.95 plan.

I did do some research on other providers. It doesn't seem that
Sprint offers a unlimited internet plan. As well, their coverage
seems bad. I looked at Verizon and for voice their prices are
slightly higher than Cingulars. I thought Cingular had the best
coverage but their coverage seems better. For data though their
unlimited is $49.99 and if you want broadband speed it's $79.99. If
the $24.99 is what i think it is, full internet as well as the faster
Edge speeds its' definitely a bargain compared to Verizon. THen if
not the $49.99 Verizon plan coudl be cheaper.

I apologize for the long msg. I tried to do a lot of research before
posting but it just seems with the language these companies use they
sure don't make it easy and just confuse you more and with contracts
you have to be careful of what you're getting into. I appreciate any
help anyone can offer.

Actually I saw the MediaWorks plan listed for $19.99. What is the
difference between that and the $24.99 Media Net plan?

From my understanding -

The 79 plan is for laptops with the pcmcia card. The 24.99 (no longer the
19.99) plan is for unlimited usage from your phone. I believe any of the
phones can support this plan - smartphones, normal phones, pdas, etc...

HTH
Mark

"MarkW" <markwco(removenospam)@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Actually I saw the MediaWorks plan listed for $19.99. What is the
> difference between that and the $24.99 Media Net plan?

<snip>

> I did do some research on other providers. It doesn't seem that
> Sprint offers a unlimited internet plan. As well, their coverage
> seems bad. I looked at Verizon and for voice their prices are
> slightly higher than Cingulars. I thought Cingular had the best
> coverage but their coverage seems better. For data though their
> unlimited is $49.99 and if you want broadband speed it's $79.99. If
> the $24.99 is what i think it is, full internet as well as the faster
> Edge speeds its' definitely a bargain compared to Verizon. THen if
> not the $49.99 Verizon plan coudl be cheaper.

I'm not sure about data plans, but I know that in general Verizon does
not allow data use while roaming (only voice use while roaming).
Therefore, if coverage is important to you, Cingular is clearly the best
choice.

> I apologize for the long msg. I tried to do a lot of research before
> posting but it just seems with the language these companies use they
> sure don't make it easy and just confuse you more and with contracts
> you have to be careful of what you're getting into. I appreciate any
> help anyone can offer.

Is there a way aroudn what T-Mobile did? It seems if I remember right
even some people were finding ways around the port shutoff? I think
all I can do is hope they don't do that. If they do though maybe the
$79 plan will come down in price. Then again that would be a lot to
hope for.

"MarkW" <markwco(removenospam)@comcast.net> wrote in message
> Actually I saw the MediaWorks plan listed for $19.99. What is the
> difference between that and the $24.99 Media Net plan?

I have the $19.99 MediaNet plan and it works with phone, PDA and computer.
What's the difference? I am not sure, I suspect that Cingular expected that
plan to be used only with data enabled phones but us crafty customers
figured out we could attach a phone to a computer and use it like a modem.

I have a V551 it's reasonably fast, not broadband, but pretty good for data
on the go.

Cheers
TC

steve

Distinguished
Sep 10, 2003

In article <bqnu11tkse84uira83ns9le60a5jm53it5@4ax.com>, MarkW
<markwco(removenospam)@comcast.net> wrote:

> Is there a way aroudn what T-Mobile did? It seems if I remember right
> even some people were finding ways around the port shutoff? I think
> all I can do is hope they don't do that. If they do though maybe the
> $79 plan will come down in price. Then again that would be a lot to
> hope for.

There's a way around it, and it works pretty well.

Where do you go that t-mobile doesn't cover if you don't mind my asking?

steve wrote:
> In article <bqnu11tkse84uira83ns9le60a5jm53it5@4ax.com>, MarkW
> <markwco(removenospam)@comcast.net> wrote:
>

>>Is there a way aroudn what T-Mobile did? It seems if I remember right
>>even some people were finding ways around the port shutoff? I think
>>all I can do is hope they don't do that. If they do though maybe the
>>$79 plan will come down in price. Then again that would be a lot to
>>hope for.
>

> There's a way around it, and it works pretty well.

What would that be?