Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Does it matter if I use XMP ready ram on an am3 motherboard?

Last response: in Motherboards
December 18, 2009 5:57:23 AM

I bought some Patriot G Series ‘Sector 5’ Edition ddr3 10666 as a bundle from newegg and the board is a MSI 770-C45 AM3. the bundle seemed like a good deal so I bought it tonight, but now I read that the ram is for an intel i5-i7 chipset.

my question is this, how bad of compatability issues should I expect? should I cancle my order in the morning or will this be a suitable match even though its supposedly not for the chipset I am installing it in?

any help will be much appreciated : )

Best solution

a b V Motherboard
December 18, 2009 6:09:30 AM

I'm pretty sure theres no such thing as I5/I7 memory, just memory that works or is certified for those systems. The XMP is the equivelant of the EPP language used by many Amd systems. The terms are used to define specifications which are not part of the standard Jedec specifications or enhanced profiles.
I don't know if the enable EPP specification on Amd boards can grab onto that data but you can enter the parameters manually. Going to have to watch this to see what someone more knowledgeable says about that.
December 18, 2009 6:19:23 AM

right on, thanx for the input, I was actually kinda worried I had made bad decision by trusting the newegg bundle deal to at least contain compatable parts. heh.

the wierd thing is, Patriot has a series certified for amd, and a series for intel, yet they are giving me this. I just wish I would of paid more attention before jumping on this deal.. not sure if I should cancle and start over or not : /
m
l
Related resources
February 6, 2010 7:04:20 AM

madhatter81 said:
right on, thanx for the input, I was actually kinda worried I had made bad decision by trusting the newegg bundle deal to at least contain compatable parts. heh.

the wierd thing is, Patriot has a series certified for amd, and a series for intel, yet they are giving me this. I just wish I would of paid more attention before jumping on this deal.. not sure if I should cancle and start over or not : /

hi madhatter, i got into similar situation but with a comp shop: AMD3 mobo and patriot viper2 sector5. what was the outcome of your enquiery? Did you cancel the order or it worked for you?
ta, redpigeon
m
l
February 6, 2010 2:40:02 PM

Best answer selected by madhatter81.
m
l
February 6, 2010 2:44:55 PM

Hello rgolubev, I kept the order and went with the sector 5 G series from Patriot and have had no problems at all.. it runs perfectly in dual channel mode and is capable of handling some decent overclocking.. its as fast as I coulda hoped. truth is, Patriot has the Gamer series ram that they say is supposed to be more compatable with am3, but im not even sure if there would be a noticable difference had I went the other way...
m
l
February 9, 2010 1:24:10 AM

Boy, Did I learn a lesson here just last week. I'd stay with memory befitting the CPU. Even if someone says it'll be ok. It won't There is a reason for advertising for a particular CPU. If your running that chip, it is supposed to be "optimized" for it specifically. Would it hurt to choose one for the AMD since they make em?

Good luck either way.

BarJabba :hello: 
m
l
July 3, 2011 11:37:42 AM

but patriot does not even have amd memory on lyh one or two sets ::( 
what should i do?
the site that sells them and my motehrboard only has patriot ram
m
l
!