Kingston 2gb sd card not mounting?

Hello, I switch from computer to computer a lot. I'm a photographer so this is kinda urgent. I use a 2GB SD card, Brand is Kingston. I Commonly use Mac OSX, and on my personal laptop I have Ubuntu running. On my desktop I have Windows 7. I generally format my SD card as FAT and its on Ubuntu. No problem when I put it into a Mac, I can reformat it on it. Its all smooth sailing. Suddenly I put it into ANY windows computer and BOOM it won't mount at all. I can't do anything. It sucks. I need to fix this. Please help me. ASAP. Feel free to Email me with useful information alambert969@yahoo.com
6 answers Last reply
More about kingston card mounting
  1. First, it would be best for us to use the forums to reply so others can learn from what is said.

Also, does the card work in linux? Can you just not see it in Windows?
  2. I see it. However when I click it to add a file or reformat it it says this is a read only file. and that is only when I can get it to mount it at all. other than that It won't read on anything. its like it doesn't even exist to the computers.
  3. CompTIA_Rep said:
    First, it would be best for us to use the forums to reply so others can learn from what is said.

Also, does the card work in linux? Can you just not see it in Windows?

yeah sorry I'm just strapped for time I need to get this stuff in.
    edit, submit. and then do it all over again.

I see it. However when I click it to add a file or reformat it it says this is a read only file. and that is only when I can get it to mount it at all. other than that It won't read on anything. its like it doesn't even exist to the computers.
  4. Well, you haven't said there is data you are trying to recover - so the fastest thing to do is buy another one for under 10 bucks.

However, it very well may be the card is near death. They are fairly basic devices and normally there isn't much trouble. It is possible you formatted the drive in linux or MAC in a format windows doesn't see?
  5. CompTIA_Rep said:
    Well, you haven't said there is data you are trying to recover - so the fastest thing to do is buy another one for under 10 bucks.

However, it very well may be the card is near death. They are fairly basic devices and normally there isn't much trouble. It is possible you formatted the drive in linux or MAC in a format windows doesn't see?

Its not that there is data in it right now. Its that I need it to transfer photo's to a different computer for a presentation. I thought it had something in it. My friend places it into the windows computer it apparently says it is empty ( I don't know exactly because she is rather computer illiterate) I plug it into my laptop running Ubuntu, and Boom. nothing at all it won't even mount it to say there is nothing. its is as if I didn't even place it in the computer.
    I also don't think it is because of the MAC or linux formatting since I use FAT so it should be compatible with all computers since I tend to switch between so many different programmings.
  6. Interesting. If it says empty on a windows PC, can you transfer files to it? What error do you get when you do?
Ask a new question

Read More

SD Card Computer Kingston Storage