Rich H

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011
My Dell 4600 is going on 12 years old. I was just told it has to go. I have Windows XP, but now all the new computers have Windows 7. Is this going to be a problem? It is strictly a home computer, no business involved. Any help is appreciated. Obviously, I'm not very computer savy, so go easy on me. Thanks.

Solution
More like "which" it. A 12-year-old computer is almost certainly not going to be able to handle the demands of Windows 7. I think Windows 7 has a 1 GB RAM minimum requirement. A 12-year-old computer may not go that high. I may be wrong though.

The other possibility is that the user is thinking of getting rid of the 12-year-old computer with XP and getting a new one, but finds that only Windows 7 is available (there are a few that I see that still have XP on them, mainly netbooks). Outside program compatibility (such as my case with WinDAT from the Windows 3.1 days not running), there shouldn't be any problems. A few software upgrades and file format conversions should resolve that issue.

I am not sure what your question is. Do you mean you want to install Win7 on the 4600 ? Who told you it had to go ? I don't know if it is going to be a problem, because your post is confusing ! (Whatever "IT", is)

ulillillia

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2011
More like "which" it. A 12-year-old computer is almost certainly not going to be able to handle the demands of Windows 7. I think Windows 7 has a 1 GB RAM minimum requirement. A 12-year-old computer may not go that high. I may be wrong though.

The other possibility is that the user is thinking of getting rid of the 12-year-old computer with XP and getting a new one, but finds that only Windows 7 is available (there are a few that I see that still have XP on them, mainly netbooks). Outside program compatibility (such as my case with WinDAT from the Windows 3.1 days not running), there shouldn't be any problems. A few software upgrades and file format conversions should resolve that issue.

Solution

Rich H

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2011

Sorry I wrote such a messed up question. Anyhow, I just purchased a new computer and have a friend that's going to help me get it set up. Appreciate your reply.

Latest posts