ASUS Radeon HD EAH4890 HTDI/1GD5 Video Card Review

r_manic

Administrator
Asus-HD4890-Heatsink.jpg

ASUS has a 3-year warranty on the EAH4890 HTDI/1GD5. Given its much lower running temperatures than reference cards, I don't imagine you will have much in the way of heat-related component failure. However, those 3 years can be critical compared to some of the competition having only a 2-year warranty. Ignoring the additional capacitor on the card, this card really just has that stellar heat sink to separate it from the horde of reference Radeon HD 4890s out on the market. What I don't understand is why ASUS didn't launch this card with much higher card-clocks like many in their TOP series. I was able to run the card at 950/1100 all day long, so why not launch the card at 925/1000? Regardless, you as the end-user should be able to easily hit 950/1100 with Catalyst Control or Smart Doctor.
Source

mlcloud

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
Heh. You know, the dual-fans and the design really didn't impress me, but at the risk of sounding cliched...

So THAT'S how it looks inside. Holy crap xD.

What's that, my friends? That is a real heatsink. ASUS did not prance around with this one; I believe this heatsink could have handled the notoriously hot ATI Radeon HD 2900XT and asked for a second helping of heat. It has been a while since a "stock" heatsink has impressed me as much.

xc0mmiex

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
wow... that thing is legit bout cooling... i always thought big coolers like that consisted of a huge slab of aluminum and a fan