Sapphire HD 4870 1GB Manual fan control not working in CCC

dakoscwash

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Hello everyone. I am having a problem with my Sapphire Radeon 4870. I have installed the latest ati drivers, but when I go to CCC and set the fan speed to manual(60%) it still reads 0% and i'm idling at 54C. It also reads 0% on automatic. I opened the case and confirmed that the fan is spinning but it doesn't seem to be near 60%. I'm completely lost for what to do next. How can I get the fan running at 60% all the time? Help would be greatly appreciated.

50bmg

Distinguished
Nov 16, 2007
I had the same issue. run CCC, start a game or 3dmark and let it run for a while. Alt+Tab over and see what it is doing.

My fan and activity were 0 at idle. While playing and alt+tabbing over it was at 60%. try the alt+tab thing.

my sapphire vapor-x fan i so quiet i never hear it. plus the 6 fans in my antec 1200 cover the sound up.

dakoscwash

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
Thanks guys. Rivatuner works great! I heard it spin up right after setting it through that and CCC has the correct readout. Temps dropped 10C! Still can't test the card with anything as I have no internet on that computer yet :(

I have the same one as you but haven't had a problem with it running it in CCC. Are you using the 9.6 drivers though?

Only problem I had is that the CCC OCing wouldn't OC the GPU at all so I used RivaTuner to put it at 795/1008 and it runs great. In fact during the 3DMark06 stress test it hit a max of 77c with it at 60% fan, still much lower than my 2900Pro 1GB that would hit like 90c. And even at 68% for the fan, it is quiet as hell.