Solved

Why AMD insists in us using their heatsinks?

:non: I just received my 3.4 GigHz AMD Phenom II processor. After reading their paperwork, I wonder why AMD says that "thou shalt use our heatsink or your warranty is void"? I have a Coolermaster that has 1.5 times the radiator area that the OEM heatsink has and it also has more heat pipes. Is this statement merely a lawyers CYA? I would think that using more cooling would be approved by AMD.
9 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about insists heatsinks
  1. 1- As a costumer, I agree with you.
    2- If I were Gigabyte, if you use a better cooler means that your want overclock and that isn't cover under warranty.
  2. I did not realize that use of oem heatsink is required for warranty. If that's the case, they should make a better heatsink dammit.
  3. How would they even know what heatsink you are using anyways. kinda crazy statement from AMD. I agree makes no sense at all..
  4. They're all like that (manufacturers), they want to cover their rears.
  5. Best answer
    engrbill47 said:
    :non: I just received my 3.4 GigHz AMD Phenom II processor. After reading their paperwork, I wonder why AMD says that "thou shalt use our heatsink or your warranty is void"? I have a Coolermaster that has 1.5 times the radiator area that the OEM heatsink has and it also has more heat pipes. Is this statement merely a lawyers CYA? I would think that using more cooling would be approved by AMD.

Don't worry about it. Use the best heatsink available to you to maximize the usage of your CPU. OC to the max or no OC.

They won't know what cooler you use until you tell them (AMD or Intel).

Stock coolers are for regular non technical users. This is also something to make sure Intel/Amd provided something to protect their product.

In reality advance users(build their own)... Its a big waste. Everybody can actually save money and junk by providing an option for advance users not to have this stock coolers.
  6. christop said:
    How would they even know what heatsink you are using anyways. kinda crazy statement from AMD. I agree makes no sense at all..

That doesn't become an issue until it's time to RMA the heatsink and some are dumb enough to send in a heatsink they never mounted because the factory applied thermal compound is still on the heatsink, always run your stock heatsink at least once.

To the OP, Intel code matches their heatsinks to the full Boxed CPU, it's not just AMD, and Intel requires RMAing the entire package, there's codes on the box and the Intel heatsink itself, so Intel is much worse on this issue than AMD.
  7. These heatsink or stock coolers go to junk. I use to get the OEM parts before to avoid getting this coolers that i don't need.

At least in my case never had any CPU failure from AMD or Intel.
  8. leon2006 said:
    These heatsink or stock coolers go to junk. I use to get the OEM parts before to avoid getting this coolers that i don't need.

At least in my case never had any CPU failure from AMD or Intel.

Most go with the full boxed version to get the 3 year warranty.
  9. Best answer selected by engrbill47.
Ask a new question

Read More

Heatsinks AMD Overclocking