Sign in with
Your question

SSD on 680i SLI MB

Last response: in Storage
March 13, 2011 6:03:06 PM

I have an SSD on the way, and I've been doing a little research so that I'm fully prepared and the installation/setup goes smoothly (running Win7 x64).

I have found that the 680i does NOT have AHCI (required for TRIM) but there is a work-around to get the "Toolbox" to work.
Does this have some sort of TRIM-like feature that can be manually run or are they just some other set of useful utilities to use with the SSD?

Also, I read somewhere that AHCI supports command queuing. I assume that it's not the only thing that supports it, because my RaptorX is currently using command queuing as we speak.

I was looking through this Tom's Guide: ( http://www.computing.net/howtos/show/solid-state-drive-... ) and for the fun of it I checked "Step 2. Verify TRIM is Enabled" and when I ran that line, my result came back as "0" which is supposed to indicate TRIM is enabled. The strange thing is that I don't even have an SSD in my system at the moment. Can anyone explain?

Alot of the information I found was over a year old, so I guess I'm wondering, where do things currently stand with SSD on a non-AHCI board, particularly the 680i, and is it worth messing with, or should I save the SSD for when I upgrade my entire system later this year?

More about : ssd 680i sli

a c 283 G Storage
March 13, 2011 6:44:10 PM

Trim is a MS Windows function. By default it is automatically enabled. A person would have to make changes to the Windows registry to disable it.

Check your motherboard manufacturer for any firmware or BIOS updates that "might" include AHCI. If none are available, then you can operate the ssd in ide mode until you upgrade your system.
m
l
March 13, 2011 8:24:41 PM

Are there any alternatives to TRIM for the time being?, and are there any immediate dangers of degrading the performance of my SSD under IDE use for several months as an OS drive?
m
l
!