Sign in with
Your question

Artifacting/crashing when starting any game/ full screen video

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
July 15, 2009 3:45:22 PM

Hey folks,

Really strange problem I've been having for a month. Whenever I run any game or a video in full screen or semi full screen, the computer instantly comes up with a screen full of artifacting for about 10 seconds, then restarts the computer.

I've run CPU Z, GPU Z, and realtemp to see if there was some kind of thermal issue but the GPU core never goes above 58 before a crash, CPU sits at 32-38.

All the RAM has already been swapped out along with the power supply, hard drive and im in a very large and fan friendly case.

At one point if I didn't restart the computer it wouldn't give me any trouble, but now it doesn't matter how many parts I re-seat or how many times I reboot, it happens every time without fail. Nothing appears in the Windows Event logs, and there are no blue/green screens. This has happened in Windows Vista 32-bit and Windows XP Pro so the OS has nothing to do with it.

I don't want to drop 500 bucks on a new vid card if I don't have to and I don't have a spare board or vid card laying around for further testing.

Rig: BFG GTX 280, Vista 32-bit Home Prem, 4*1Gig dual chan, 650watt PSU, Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 3.0GHz, Systemboard: Asus P5Q series

Not overclocking, all BIOS/firmware updates installed, drivers have been updated and downgraded to newer/older versions.

Stuck and annoyed.

-Dave
July 16, 2009 9:52:49 AM

Dave-

Something like this by any chance?

If yes, the good news is you're not alone, but the bad news is I have yet to find anything helpful either. I'll let you know if I do...

EDIT: I forgot to mention this is from Infinity Rising, and I have a 9600 GSO on the way that should get here tomorrow (7/17), to test my suspicions that it's the GTX 280 itself causing this. Behind that corruption there is sometimes a BSoD, STOP Error 0x124, in my case. I haven't had any luck getting the Windows Debug tools to work, so I can't properly trace the cause of that yet. I've been able to replicate this on XP 64 as well as Vista 64, but don't have anywhere to put a 32 bit OS at the moment and don't know of any (decent) hardware 3D tests that can run from a Linux Live CD due to no pre-configured drivers.

Bill
July 16, 2009 12:38:12 PM

For what it is worth ,,as you have no spare parts laying around ,,after all you need to find out what is causing the problem,you can usually take parts to a local store and for a slight fee they will test them for you,...
Slow today I am,just noticed,??did you state that you have 4x1g of ram??try 2x2 some mobo's do not play with 4x1 of ram,or you could try setting the ram to 2T,and/or running with 2x1 and see what is what..IF that dosen't work well then think of RMA'ing the mobo..
After all given your specs ,you should be able to throw it all together and it should just go,got a similar thingy happening here new mobo workz fine with 1 stick of ram but not 2 will not get past bios screen,mobo does not like my current ram so will have to bite the bullet,the fact that you are not getting any error messages is the clue that suggests there may well be a ram problem of some kind..:) 
July 17, 2009 11:23:00 PM

Update- From what I can tell after initial testing, swapping the GTX 280 for the 9600 GSO solved the issues I was having. It sounds like it might be faulty cards, or that the stock cooler was insufficient (the big BFG label on the front of the card has bubbled severely).

Any luck northaunt/Dave?

EDIT (7/18 @ 6:27 PM Eastern): Further testing has all but proven the GTX 280 was the culprit in my case. Any updates Dave?
!