machi4u

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
sorry, im completely new to computer, zero knowledge. I'm getting a new desktop, but confused about
What is the difference between intel and amd... for example

Intel:

Core 2 Quad
i7/i5

AMD:

Phenom II x2
Phenom II x3
Phenom II x4
(and there are different numbers behind the x2,x3,or x4) what are those mean?

bascially which one is better? I heard core 2 quad is not worth it for present, because games are not over 2 core yet... not sure wat im talking about, but I'm planning on playing starcraft 2, modern warfare 2, and diablo 3 in the future. please tell me which cpu is good for these games, which will cause no lag at all for these games.

also, off topic, what is the difference between DDR3 and DDR2?
also, for video card, is GeForce 9800 GT good enough for the games i mentioned? or do i need like GTS or GTX? i heard those two are really hot and need good cooling for it..

jimishtar

Distinguished
May 15, 2009
x2 has 2 cores, x3 has 3 cores....
any core 2 quad is great for your games, even core 2 duo, like E5300 or E8400 will do just fine.
ddr3 has higher clock than ddr2, uses less power and has lot more performance.
9800 gt will be great for your games.

Well this will take a lot of explaining but i'll make it a simple as i can.

The Intel Core 2 quad, core i7, and i5. (all have 4 cores.)

Core 2 quad is intel's old cpu line. It intels first quad core CPU.

Core i5 is like the core 2 quad. it just newer, has some newer features, and has Level 3 cache.

Core i7 almost exactly like i5. it has Hyperthreading to make a 4 core cpu act like an 8 core cpu.

AMD
Phenom II x2: has 2 cores per cpu

Phenom II x3: has 3 cores per cpu

Phenom II x4: has 4 cores per cpu

bascially which one is better? I heard core 2 quad is not worth it for present, because games are not over 2 core yet... not sure wat im talking about, but I'm planning on playing starcraft 2, modern warfare 2, and diablo 3 in the future. please tell me which cpu is good for these games, which will cause no lag at all for these games.

Well for those futures games, they may use 4 cores. We cant say for sure if 2, 3, or 4 cores is best for you. If you want to be sure you'll have no lag I would say a High GHz 4 cores cpu.

Mainly i say this because if a Background program like anti virus starts running while playing a game, 2 cores you'll notice decrease performance in a game because it both programs are trying to use the same cores. If playing a 2 core game on a 4 core system the anti virus just can run on the core(s) that not doing anything.

also, off topic, what is the difference between DDR3 and DDR2?
also, for video card, is GeForce 9800 GT good enough for the games i mentioned? or do i need like GTS or GTX? i heard those two are really hot and need good cooling for it..]

Well the noticeable difference between DDR2 and 3 is the system snappiness feeling. The Higher the DDR# typicly mean faster MHz. which means programs that you have already used once, the next time you bring it up that same program it (in theory) should come up faster then a lower DDR#.
Example:
Fastest Produced ddr1 ram is 400 MHz
Fastest Produced ddr2 ram is 1066 MHz
Fastest Produced ddr3 ram is 1600 MHz (At the moment anyways.)

Also the higher DDR# typically will be able to have higher max memory GB per stick of ram than lower ddr#
Example:
Largest DDR1 ram stick is 1 GB.
Largest DDR2 ram stick is 2 GB. (or at least that i'm aware of.)
Largest DDR3 ram stick is 4 GB. (ok they have not been released on a consumer level but they will be in the future.)

For the video card the 9800 gt is able to handle alot of today games but for those future games i would recommend maybe the gtx 250 (or higher) with 512 MB video or higher. As long as you have and/or get a well ventilated those card temps will be ok.

Hope this helps.

sanchz

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2009
Depending on your budget the CPU "hierarchy" goes like this:
-i7 920 (4 cores/ 4 "virtual" cores/ 2.66 GHz/ 8 MB Cache) the best for $280
-i5 750 (4 cores/ 2.66 GHz/ 8 MB Cache) the best for $200
-Phenom II X4 945 (4 cores/ 3.0 GHz/ 8 MB Cache) the best for $170
-Phenom II X4 810 (4 cores/ 2.6 GHz/ 6 MB Cache) the best for $145
-Athlon II X4 630 (4 cores/ 2.8 GHz/ 2 MB Cache) AND Phenom II X3 720 (3 cores/ 2.8 GHz/ 7.5 MB Cache) the best for $120
-Phenom II X2 550 (2 cores/ 3.1 GHz/ 7 MB Cache) AND Athlon II X4 620 (4 cores/ 2.6 GHz/ 2MB cache) the best for around $100
-Phenom II X2 545 (2 cores/ 3.0 GHz/ 7 MB Cache) the best for $92
-Pentium Dual Core E6300 (2 cores/ 2.8 GHz/ 2MB Cache) the best for $82
-Athlon II X2 (2 cores/ 2 MB Cache) model nº 250 3.0 GHz the best for $76; model nº 245 2.9 GHz the best for $66; model nº 240 2.8 GHz the best for $60
-Any Celeron Dual Core (2 cores/ 1 MB or 512 KB Cache) the best for sub $60

@machi4u:

The good folks here have answered your questions a couple of different ways, but I suspect you still don't have the info you need to pick a PC.

If so, let's try it a different way: Tell us how big a screen you plan to play these games on. Then either give us an example of a brand/model you think is right, or the "native" or "optimum" resolution that screen has.

This info, plus the games you gave us will allow us to spec a system that will work for you, and perhaps another one that will give you some protection for the future.

Finally, let us know how much you feel comfortable spending, and we will see how that fits against what you need or can buy today.