Sign in with
Your question

Water vs Air - Quick Question

Tags:
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
June 22, 2011 8:34:28 PM

I have never doing any OC before but I will be on my new build. i7 26k ausu m4e, nvidia 580, Have a choice between

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

or

Both seem to have good feedback, CM Air option says its compatible with Sandy bridge, I didn't see that on the corsair Does that rule it out? I have zero experience with Water cooling, but I wanted to get into it. Im not sure of the benefits of WC that doesn't' also cool the GPU's, Just looking for a general consensus on which would be the better buy.

thanks

More about : water air quick question

June 22, 2011 10:09:05 PM

i personally have the H50 and it keeps my i7920c0 12C Cooler than my Noctua 120mm w/CM 90CFM fans
m
l
June 22, 2011 10:44:52 PM

Did you have any issues installing it? were you experienced with Water cooling before your purchase?
m
l
Related resources
June 22, 2011 11:39:35 PM

First, this isn't really "water-cooling." It's a self-contained unit that's basically 100% maintenance-free.

As for performance, the H50 and H70 are no better than the vast majority of high-performance HS/Fan air-coolers available. Several similar self-contained units from other manufacturers will outperform them, too.

Want a side-by-side comparison on identical test equipment? This ( http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=259... ) is FrostyTech's most recently reviewed cooler. Flip to pages 4 and 5 to see their long list of coolers they've tested on identical (simulated) AMD and Intel platforms. Once there, find any respective coolers you're considering (Ctrl+F in your browser) and compare how they stack up against the rest. You can search for their individual reviews as well.
m
l
June 23, 2011 3:20:06 AM

RazberyBandit said:
First, this isn't really "water-cooling." It's a self-contained unit that's basically 100% maintenance-free.

As for performance, the H50 and H70 are no better than the vast majority of high-performance HS/Fan air-coolers available. Several similar self-contained units from other manufacturers will outperform them, too.

Want a side-by-side comparison on identical test equipment? This ( http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleID=259... ) is FrostyTech's most recently reviewed cooler. Flip to pages 4 and 5 to see their long list of coolers they've tested on identical (simulated) AMD and Intel platforms. Once there, find any respective coolers you're considering (Ctrl+F in your browser) and compare how they stack up against the rest. You can search for their individual reviews as well.

many thanks for that response raspberry, You seem pretty knowledgeable, could I ask which option would you go for and why ?
m
l
a c 334 K Overclocking
June 23, 2011 3:50:47 PM

For $100+, you might as well go with the Rasa kit...H70 is decent, but performs about as well as most good air coolers. If you want the H70 to perform the best it can, you need to replace the fans with higher CFM/static pressure fans since it is a high FPI rad...this means more noise, though with faster fans. By that time, you are at least the same cost as the Rasa kit.

If you want watercooling for less than $150, get the Rasa. If you don't...you can go with a LCS cooler, but don't expect miracles...they work well, but aren't amazing. For less $$...just go with a good air cooler and call it a day. This could have also been posted in the watercooling forum for more info.
m
l
June 23, 2011 6:47:36 PM

lieutenantfrost said:
many thanks for that response raspberry, You seem pretty knowledgeable, could I ask which option would you go for and why ?

Thanks for the compliment. While it doesn't really matter what I'd choose, you did ask...

I wouldn't choose either of those coolers. For me, air-cooling is sufficient and efficient enough. There are very good HS/Fan air-coolers available at considerably lower cost than the CM V8 that will perform as well or better than it and the H70. Others have and will attest to those facts. But I'm not the one who's making a purchase decision here - you are. As such, your purchase should reflect your own desires.

If you're seriously considering water-cooling, then I too would suggest skipping self-contained units lin favor of a double-radiator, reservoir, and pump setup. But, your PC case has to be able to accommodate those components. If it can't, then you've found yourself your first additional expense, which would only serve to drive the performance-per-dollar ratio even further into favor of using a high-quality HS/fan cooler.
m
l
a c 239 K Overclocking
June 24, 2011 1:49:50 AM

lieutenantfrost said:
I have never doing any OC before but I will be on my new build. i7 26k ausu m4e, nvidia 580, Have a choice between

or

Both seem to have good feedback, CM Air option says its compatible with Sandy bridge, I didn't see that on the corsair Does that rule it out? I have zero experience with Water cooling, but I wanted to get into it. Im not sure of the benefits of WC that doesn't' also cool the GPU's, Just looking for a general consensus on which would be the better buy.

thanks

First off assuming your 580 reference is a 580GTX you really won't need to overclock the 580, unless you're referencing an FX 580.

In place of the Cooler Master V8 if you go the air cooling route consider the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ additionally adding this Cooler Master R4-BMBS 120mm Fan the match to the fan that comes with the CMH212+.

The second fan for a push/pull airflow setup as the Cooler Master Hyper 212+ comes with an additional set of fan clips for just such a mounting, and 120mm fan matching the CFM airflow will give you the best overall cooling performance from that heat sink.

Now with the temperatures the 2600K and the 2500K run at with the controllers on the CPU itself, it runs pretty hot even idling, you may get a 3c improvement over the air cooling going with the Rasa kit previously suggested however to get extreme overclocks with the 2600K, this kit will be a disappointing.

Seeing as how you've already stated, you've never done any OCing before, you really don't know just how far you'll be going with the OCing, so why spend any more money out the gate until you discover, first off how to actually overclock, then maybe go with a better cooling solution.

A lot of THGF members swear by the Cooler Master Hyper 212+, I have one myself and it performs quite well, but as has already been said, it's your money and your final decision. Ryan
m
l
!