Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

GPU Heat Question

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Overclocking
  • Product
Last response: in Overclocking
Share
June 23, 2011 3:03:02 AM

Alright, I know my cards rarely peak up to 80C but they do when I play games for hours.

I have the EVGA GTX560Ti Superclocked DS in SLI and I want to know.. are my temperatures too high? or does my cooling suck? And I did notice I have more Exhaust than Intake in terms of CFM, is that bad? Should I have more intake than exhaust?

My first card is idle at 34C but hits 80C max

My second card is idle at 32C but hits 77C max

I am not sure why but they is a temperature difference between the 2 cards even though airflow should be the same.

I have a total of 8 fans in my case excluding the GPU fans....

I was just wondering, such a high temperature is due to it being Overclocked? card just runs hot...? or my cooling just sucks?

CPU Fan:
2x 120mm 2000RPM, 69.69CFM in push/pull towards back exhaust

GPU Fan:
2x 80mm on each card

Intake Fans:
1x 230mm 110CFM @ 700RPM intake infront

1x 200mm 110CFM @ 700RPM side intake

1x 120mm 69.69CFM @ 2000 RPM intake in optical bay

Exhaust Fans:

2x 200mm 110 CFM exhaust up top

1x 140mm 110 CFM exhaust back



^ There's plenty of room right for airflow? or should re-route the PCI-E x6 pins from the bottom instead of from the back grommets?

More about : gpu heat question

a b U Graphics card
a c 296 K Overclocking
June 23, 2011 3:16:10 AM

You need set a profile fan for your GPUs.
m
0
l
June 23, 2011 3:17:40 AM

saint19 said:
You need set a profile fan for your GPUs.


Profile fan? Meaning... kicking up the fans when I'm gaming instead of leaving it on auto?

How's this profile? the fan gets exponentially loud after 55% I don't want it to be too loud

m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a c 296 K Overclocking
June 23, 2011 3:26:54 AM

Yeah. use MSI Afterburner that works great for that, even if your GPU isn't MSI.
m
0
l
June 23, 2011 3:28:15 AM

saint19 said:
Yeah. use MSI Afterburner that works great for that, even if your GPU isn't MSI.


I have EVGA Precision, isn't that just fine? I edited my above reply with a fan profile, what do you think?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 296 K Overclocking
June 23, 2011 3:36:55 AM

The fan profile isn't the best, your main GPU will have high temps due to the SLI. I think that your fan speed at 40ºC should go at 50% or 55%
m
0
l
June 23, 2011 3:47:25 AM

saint19 said:
The fan profile isn't the best, your main GPU will have high temps due to the SLI. I think that your fan speed at 40ºC should go at 50% or 55%


Jesus that's high... My fans will definitely make a lot of noise pass 55%

what temperatures do I want to keep under for my GPUs
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 296 K Overclocking
June 23, 2011 3:49:18 AM

I'd try to keep that GPUs at 80ºC-85ºC under load.
m
0
l
June 23, 2011 3:51:15 AM

saint19 said:
I'd try to keep that GPUs at 80ºC-85ºC under load.


Well my GPUs always stay under 80C leaving the fans on auto...
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 296 K Overclocking
June 23, 2011 4:01:02 AM

That's good, just remember that with less heat you can overclock higher and better.
m
0
l
June 23, 2011 4:04:59 AM

saint19 said:
That's good, just remember that with less heat you can overclock higher and better.


True, but do I really want to push 950mhz?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 296 K Overclocking
June 23, 2011 3:03:49 PM

Well if I were you I'd go for the 1000MHz :lol: 
m
0
l
June 24, 2011 4:40:22 AM

I think you should get as much out of your card as you can.
I have the same card and it gets to 85C in bfbc2 under 100% fans

OC'ed to 950. 1900. 2450 @ 1.037v
m
0
l
a c 302 U Graphics card
a c 140 K Overclocking
June 24, 2011 4:04:29 PM

Don't worry.

1) Graphics cards do run hot under load, but they are built to do so. If they overheat, they will downclock to prevent damage. I would only worry if the temps get over 100c.

2) In a sli configuration, the top card will run hotter because it is getting hotter air for cooling.
With the pxi-e slot separation you have, that effect is less.

3) Overclocking anything will cause it to run hotter. It is a problem only when you reach the maximum heat threshold.

m
0
l
June 24, 2011 5:26:36 PM

saint19 said:
Well if I were you I'd go for the 1000MHz :lol: 


Lol that's a lot of heat though, unless I'm liquid cooling, I don't want to make my card run hotter than 85C

blessedreport said:
I think you should get as much out of your card as you can.
I have the same card and it gets to 85C in bfbc2 under 100% fans

OC'ed to 950. 1900. 2450 @ 1.037v


100% fans? damn that's loud.. did you use a program to overclock that? In example: EVGA precision or MSI afterburner?


geofelt said:
Don't worry.

1) Graphics cards do run hot under load, but they are built to do so. If they overheat, they will downclock to prevent damage. I would only worry if the temps get over 100c.

2) In a sli configuration, the top card will run hotter because it is getting hotter air for cooling.
With the pxi-e slot separation you have, that effect is less.

3) Overclocking anything will cause it to run hotter. It is a problem only when you reach the maximum heat threshold.


What is a good temperature on max load though? I don't want to shorten the lifespan of these cards by going over a certain temperature, that's my only gripe on overclocking.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 296 K Overclocking
June 24, 2011 5:30:52 PM

newbie1992 said:
Lol that's a lot of heat though, unless I'm liquid cooling, I don't want to make my card run hotter than 85C.


Mine never goes above 57°C on load with Heaven DX11
m
0
l
June 24, 2011 5:43:06 PM

newbie1992 said:
Lol that's a lot of heat though, unless I'm liquid cooling, I don't want to make my card run hotter than 85C



100% fans? damn that's loud.. did you use a program to overclock that? In example: EVGA precision or MSI afterburner?




What is a good temperature on max load though? I don't want to shorten the lifespan of these cards by going over a certain temperature, that's my only gripe on overclocking.


I used msi afterburner. and yes it is loud, but i wear headphones anyway.
m
0
l
a c 302 U Graphics card
a c 140 K Overclocking
June 24, 2011 5:53:23 PM

Your temps are fine.

If you really think you need to OC to get more performance, then you should consider a more powerful card.
In know, I know, we all want something for nothing. But.. do you really need it?

Graphics card vendors bin their chips, and put the better chips in their pre-overclocked units so they can sell them for a premium price.

Just register your card with EVGA within 30 days, and you have a lifetime warranty.

That also sets you up for a 90 day trade up program if you want more performance.
m
0
l
June 24, 2011 10:25:42 PM

geofelt said:
Your temps are fine.

If you really think you need to OC to get more performance, then you should consider a more powerful card.
In know, I know, we all want something for nothing. But.. do you really need it?

Graphics card vendors bin their chips, and put the better chips in their pre-overclocked units so they can sell them for a premium price.

Just register your card with EVGA within 30 days, and you have a lifetime warranty.

That also sets you up for a 90 day trade up program if you want more performance.


my cards are already pre overclocked and also, I don't think I want to upgrade, since my gtx560 ti SLI will out perform a single 580
m
0
l
!