Sign in with
Your question
Solved

P55m-ud2 memory questions

Last response: in Motherboards
December 19, 2009 1:43:12 AM

Hi all,

I have built a computer with the UD2 not too long ago. Today I was fiddling with the RAM since one of them is showing error with memtest. I put one stick in the blue slot closest to the CPU (DDR3_2) and all I got it beep and the computer won't start. Same thing happen if I put that RAM in the other blue slot. However, if I put the RAM in any of the white slots, problem resolved. I am wondering if it's normal or not.

Thanks!
December 19, 2009 6:52:33 PM

That’s Normal and explained in the manual.
If only one memory stick, it goes to slot DDR3_1 ore DDR3_3 (both white)
m
l

Best solution

a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
December 22, 2009 2:42:00 AM

xodin said:
That’s Normal and explained in the manual.
If only one memory stick, it goes to slot DDR3_1 ore DDR3_3 (both white)

Correct. See page 16 in the manual. It also explains that if you have 2 sticks they should go in DDR3_1 and DDR3_3. The confusing part to many people is that DDR3_1 is the second slot from the CPU and DDR3_3 is the fourth slot from the CPU. (DDR3_2 is closest to the CPU and DDR3_4 is the 3rd slot from the CPU.)
Related resources
December 22, 2009 8:05:53 AM

I did read that. I'm just not sure if the beeping sounds is normal or not.
m
l
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
December 22, 2009 10:37:47 AM

Completely normal. See FAQ under Troubleshooting, bottom of page 112 in the manual for an explanation of the beeps.
m
l
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
January 8, 2010 9:00:55 PM

Hi,
I've put two identical 2GB memory sticks to slots 1,3. The BIOS says that total memory is 2GB. What can be the problem? Do I need to enable second channel somehow?
m
l
Anonymous
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
January 8, 2010 9:12:19 PM

Sorry, seems that I just had bad connection.
Strangely it was showing both sticks in "DIMM Slot" (in MIT status), but only one in "Enabled slot"
m
l
January 25, 2010 11:05:56 AM

Quote:
Sorry, seems that I just had bad connection.
Strangely it was showing both sticks in "DIMM Slot" (in MIT status), but only one in "Enabled slot"

Hi,
I'm having the exact same problem; tried updating BIOS to f7c but to no avail... when you say you had a bad connection, what do you mean exactly? How did you resolve the issue? Was it a low-tech blow-the-dust type thing or was there a fundamental issue with the MB\RAM?
Cheers!
m
l
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
January 25, 2010 11:32:38 AM

It sounds like "Anonymous" took their RAM out and put it back in - making sure it was all the way in. It's fairly easy to not get the RAM fully seated. What problem are you having?
m
l
January 25, 2010 12:21:43 PM

Hi Ekoostik,
Thanks for the reply! I'm fairly certain it's not due to the Ram not sitting correctly, as I've tried it a number of time, but here's the basic overview:

I've 4gb installed and W7 reports only 2gb of this useable (but recognises that 4gb are indeed installed).

I've tried only putting in one stick, with odd results. Either stick of RAM works fine in the DDR3_3 slot, but if I only instalkl a single stick in the DDR3_1 slot, the computer throws a series of beeps at me on boot, indicating a RAM installation error.

If a stick is installed in the DDR3_3 slot but not the DDR3_1 slot, the Bios shows that slot as having 2gbs installed and 2gbs enabled.

However, if I install the pair, one in DDR3_1 and one in DDR_3 (as per the instructions), a very strange thing happens. Slot 1 & 3 are shown as having 2gb installed but NOTHING enabled, and Slot 2 is shown as having nothing installed but 2gb enabled. :|

Initially I thought a stick of RAM was faulty, but after testing that I assumed it was a memory remapping problem caused by the Bios. But now,after investigating it further, it looks like there's either something wrong with the first DDR slot, or there's a problem getting it to run in dual channel mode. However, I can't see how the first DDR slow (DDR3_1) could be faulty as it DOES pick up that RAM is installed there, correctly reading the size, setting the timings etc, it just... doesn't use it.

The whole, "there's nothing installed in slot 2 but we're using 2gb of it" has me completely perplexed though.
m
l
January 25, 2010 12:23:02 PM

I should probably clarify : I have 2 sticks of 2gb, 1333mhz DDR3 ram :) 
m
l
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
January 25, 2010 12:31:52 PM

Just to be sure - you are testing the white slots, right? The second one from the CPU and the furthest one from the CPU?
m
l
January 25, 2010 12:32:54 PM

Hi Ekoostik!
I certainly am!
Cheers
m
l
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
January 25, 2010 12:58:41 PM

Ok, had to check.
Quote:
However, if I install the pair, one in DDR3_1 and one in DDR_3 (as per the instructions), a very strange thing happens. Slot 1 & 3 are shown as having 2gb installed but NOTHING enabled, and Slot 2 is shown as having nothing installed but 2gb enabled.

I'm not familiar with a screen that shows installed vs. enabled. What are you using to see this? Is this somewhere within the BIOS? Or software you run from within Windows?
m
l
January 25, 2010 1:01:54 PM

It's in the BIOS - I'm actually at a different house right now than the machine in question, so I can't remember the -exact- wording, but it's in an info screen referred to as the MOtherboard Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.) or something similar... If my memory serves me correctly, you enter the MOtherboard Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.) on the main BIOS area, and then there is a MOtherboard Intelligent Tweaker (M.I.T.) Information option within this, alongside other options such as Advanced Frequency Settings, Advanced Voltage settings etc. I'll try and find a reference to it online now to make it clearer...
m
l
January 25, 2010 1:05:58 PM

Found one on Google.
http://www.easycom.com.ua/data/mboard/0909102026/img/b2...

This isn't a screen of my BIOS, but of the same BIOS section that I am looking at. Whereas on the screen above it says 1024 DIMM slot & 1024 Enabled for both DDR3_1 and DDR3_3, my bios reports:

DDR3_1 DIMM Slot - "2048mb"
DDR3_1 Enabled - "-"

DDR3_2 DIMM Slot - "-"
DDR3_2 Enabled - "2048mb"

DDR3_3 DIMM Slot - "2048mb"
DDR3_3 Enabled - "-"

DDR3_4 DIMM Slot - "-"
DDR3_4 Enabled - "-"

Which is just plain weird. :D 
m
l
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
January 25, 2010 1:19:01 PM

That is weird. You check for any dust in the socket?

I found another discussion that suggests it might be a bent socket pin. Unfortunately, the OP never responded to say if that was the solution to the problem, or what the solution was: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/267803-30-ud4p-unusua...

And I did a little more digging where once again a related problem was possibly attributed to bent pins, and once again the poster didn't respond if that was the solution. Here's the page where it's mentioned, you may want to back up to read more: http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/ga-p55-ud6-ram-issues-3...
m
l
January 25, 2010 1:20:46 PM

That's fantastic, thanks ekoostik; I hadn't come across these in my searches. I'll look into this and I will be back with any solution I can find!
m
l
a b } Memory
a b V Motherboard
January 25, 2010 1:35:08 PM

One more thing, it looks like Gigabyte is going to be making available another BIOS for the GA-P55M-UD2 soon. It's probably making its way around their many different sites. But if you want to try it you can download it ( F7d ) from here: http://forums.tweaktown.com/f69/gigabyte-latest-bios-28...
m
l
!