Stupiditystrikes

Distinguished
May 15, 2011
Hey toms. I'm currently looking at a Corsair H50 right now while it's on sale.
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX25895(ME).aspx
I have a few questions.

1 Is it a good bang for buck? ($60) on sale currently at mem express. (if not feel free to suggest other ones budget $100 and from mem express)
2 What is this paste/sealant stuff I hear about from other reviews/comments, or if it exists at all.
3 Applied to #2 are you able change CPUS later on? or do you have to get a new h50 as well.
4 suggested rpms for push-pull fan setup?
5 there appears to be a "thermal compound" in the "whats in the package" is that the paste? or...

Apologies if these are black and white questions, but I'm a bit paranoid about spending my money.

Thanks Toms

Gamer-girl

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
1. No it's not good bang for buck as far as cpu coolers go, the Hyper212+ is better values but it is a air cooler but it might interfere with tall ram heatsinks.

2. The thermal paste comes already pre-applied at the bottom of the cpu waterblock, you just install it and the heat from the cpu will melt it.

3. Yes you can change CPUs later on you just have to clean the thermal paste and apply an aftermarket one something like artic 5 silver or MX-2/3. You don't have to buy a new cooler

4. Not really sure, i just use the fan that came with it to push and my case fan to pull it out of the back of my case.

5. See answer to question 2. It comes pre-applied, silver stuff underneath the water block.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
The H70 is a better product than the H50...haven't seen as many reviews on the H60 yet. I know there are some additional products like the Antec Kuhler that are a main competitor...but all in all...most LCS coolers do about as well as most good air coolers.

Gamer-girl

Distinguished
May 29, 2010
You might want to take a look at this and over the next page too, more specifically focus on the hyper 212+ and the scythe mugen-2 rev.B.

So based on the available coolers on the your shopping site:

Scythe Mugen 2 Rev. B for the best temps. It is also quiet, has an adjustable fan that you can move up and down to accommodate tall memory heatspreaders. It is also pretty quiet compared to the hyper 212+

Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus Is the best value. It cools very well for the price and comes pretty close to the higher end coolers. The bad thing is the fan may cover ram slots so you have to use low profile heatspreaders, it can be a bit noiser than the scythe.

Corsair Hydro Series H50 has good aesthetics. Cooling is comparable to the high end air coolers and is fairly quiet when the fan is not on full. It also allows you to move the "bulk" away from the middle of the motherboard. It also has an inbuilt pump that will eventually die and you will have to replace the whole unit.

I would suggest the mugen-2 if it can fit your case but if you are really set on the watercooling look then it would be okay to get the hydro series but as many have said it is not true watercooling so don't expect the cooling efficiency to be proportional to the money spent.

Stupiditystrikes

Distinguished
May 15, 2011
The mugen 2 looks like it'll put itself straight into my RAM slots, sadly.

The sad part about my mobo is that the memory is staged directly beside the cpu, and any air cooler etc will not fit other than the standard ones or really small ones.

I have an ASUS M4A87TD/USB3, so you may wanna check into that
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/PID-MX28713(ME).aspx

If there is however an air cooler that is good enough, and will fit inside, I will definitely take it.

But until then it looks like water cooling will have to suffice. I still have time to decide/look into stuff so i'll keep taking suggestions