Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Heat sink/fan specifications

Last response: in Overclocking
June 23, 2011 6:20:57 AM

Hi all. I've read around on this forum quite a bit and have been very thankful for all the plentiful information and intelligent threads contained on this site. I had something of a more specific question though, and so decided to make an account and add in to the discussions. That being said, I have a few questions regarding some HSF specifications.

I've been looking at a few HSFs on NewEgg and have been comparing reviews of different models; however, I don't have too much experience handling these items myself yet. I've Googled around for a few specs that were unfamiliar to me but to no avail. Hoping someone can shed some light on the following:

1) On the Zalman CNPS9900Max-B and Zalman CNPS9900ALED models, RPM specifications (and similarly, noise level specs) are listed with regards to "RC7P" and "RC33P" connections, respectively. For example, on the 9900ALED model:

RPM:
"With RC33P 800rpm ~ 1,300rpm ± 10%"
"Without RC33P 1,000rpm ~ 2,000rpm ± 10%"

What exactly is RC33P? How is it different than RC7P used in the 9900Max-B?

The Noctua NH-U12P SE2 model uses the terms LNA and ULNA in a similar fashion to describe potential RPM speeds. I realized these are probably proprietary terms, but what are they physically, and how does one actually go about using them (i.e. "with vs. without")? Are they cables, or something different all together?

2) The Xigmatek Dark Knight-S1283V model lists this specification under its features:

"3pcs F8mm high performance U type heat-pipes"

What does "3pcs" and "F8" mean/refer to?

Thanks in advance for any help on these seemingly esoteric terms!
a b K Overclocking
June 23, 2011 3:15:48 PM

I think the RC33P is a resistor to put down the voltage that goes through the fan, they come up with strange names for that stuff... These resistors are just plugs that go between the fan header and the fan cable; you don’t have to use them at all if you don’t mind to have them spinning at a high RPM or your case has some potentiometers build in or a fan controller to plug the fans into.

The 3pcs i think refers to 3 pieces of 8 millimeter (F8mm ) thick heatpipes.
June 23, 2011 8:13:05 PM

@sap chicken

Thanks for your reply. I agree that they have interesting names for these resistors.

This brings another question to my mind, though: Why are such connections needed with a fan capable of PWM? (The CNPS9900Max-B, for instance, has both an RC7P connector and PWM.) With PWM, wouldn't the mobo automatically adjust RPM speed according to internal temperature, effectively overriding the need for voltage resistors? The only explanation I can think of is that the resistor connections offer more noise level control, but other than that I don't see a reason to use both simultaneously.
Related resources

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
June 23, 2011 9:31:18 PM

I'm guessing their just part of the model number for each fan.Some with different settings than stock.And they might also include those voltage regulators for people who don't have PWM fan ports but would also like to have the variable fan speed.For instance on most mobo's their is only 1 PWM fan port which is for the CPU itself.They might also use them for as Case Fans and not just as part of the CPU Cooler.Those companies also sell those fans as Case Fans seperetly.

I do agree with sap chicken, I also believe 3pcs/F8mm stands for 3 heatpipes with a circumfrence of 8mm.You know if your curious about what size and how many heatpipes the heatsink has they usually list it on their website in the specifications.

If your actually thinking of getting one of those heatsinks you listed here's a review of them.

http://www.frostytech.com/articleview.cfm?articleid=256...

They perform within 1c of eachother.Price to performance for the Zalman doesn't really make it an easy pick.

What type of cooler are you looking for exactly? Is it heat disipation for O.C.ing? Or is it a low-noise cooler?

The market just sky rocketed for all those coolers.I can see the Hyper212+ and the Dark Knight are both selling for $50 but about a month or 2 ago they were $25.But still,their are far better coolers for your money than the Dark Knight and the Zalman.
June 23, 2011 9:51:02 PM

@purple stank

Thanks for the information, and that link is helpful as well.

I'm still learning the basics (so to speak) of things, but ideally I'm searching for a cooler for OCing. As I'm planning it, it'd mostly likely be for an i7 2600K processor. The coolers I listed in the first post were just examples, and I'm certainly open to any recommendations.
a b K Overclocking
June 23, 2011 9:58:17 PM

When your looking for a cooler for O.C.ing are you looking for a quiet cooler or do you want maximum performance(a slight hum from your PC)?

Whats the budget for this CPU Cooler?

Are you gaming with your new build or is it for other purposes?

For price and performance this cooler is probably the best on the market right now.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
June 23, 2011 10:06:21 PM

I'll be building it mostly for gaming, so I'd sway more to the performance end. Probably would be willing to spend about $50 max. The one you posted does seem good for money/performance ratio, though.
a b K Overclocking
June 23, 2011 11:17:12 PM

If your building this PC mostly for gaming I would suggest saving an extra $100 and just go with the i5 2500k.Their is almost no difference at all between the Sandy Brdige i5 and i7 when it comes to gaming.

As for the coolers I'd say the best your gonna get without going over your budget is the Scythe Mugen 2,although both coolers perform in the same general area.

Scythe Mugen 2
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
June 24, 2011 12:26:13 AM

Best answer selected by RainView.
a b K Overclocking
June 24, 2011 12:46:21 AM

What did you decide on?
!