Thinkpad T21 not booting/powering up

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
April 19, 2004 9:04:24 AM

Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Hi,

My T21 has recently started playing up, details are as follows..

- When plugged into the mains power supply:

When I press the power button, the cooling fan spins up and then shuts
down. At the same time the cd/dvd drive is constantly trying to be
accessed. It doesn't seem/sound as if the hard drive is being accessed
at all. No display on the screen at any time.

- When running from battery:

When I press the power button, the five "drive/num lock/caps
lock/scroll lock/power" lights flash repeatedly as do the three
"battery/standby/ultrabay" lights. Nothing else happens, again no
display on the screen.

I have managed to get it to boot a couple of times through repeated
powering on/off, but when I managed to get into Windows the keyboard
was acting as if the Num Lock was permanently on even though it
wasn't. I verified it wasn't a problem with the keyboard by booting
into Linux (the laptop is dual-boot with Windows 2000 and Linux) where
the keyboard worked fine.

Does this sound like a hard drive issue? I took a good look at the
various removable components to make sure they were seated correctly,
and when I removed the hard drive I noticed it rattles as if there is
something loose within the drive unit itself.

I don't have a huge amount of experience with laptops, so any advice
is welcome.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 19, 2004 6:00:33 PM

Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Change the RTC (CMOS) battery
Re-seat the CPU
"riddlermarc" <marc.mcallister@globalcrossing.com> wrote in message
> Hi,
>
> My T21 has recently started playing up, details are as follows..
>
> - When plugged into the mains power supply:
>
> When I press the power button, the cooling fan spins up and then shuts
> down. At the same time the cd/dvd drive is constantly trying to be
> accessed. It doesn't seem/sound as if the hard drive is being accessed
> at all. No display on the screen at any time.
>
> - When running from battery:
>
> When I press the power button, the five "drive/num lock/caps
> lock/scroll lock/power" lights flash repeatedly as do the three
> "battery/standby/ultrabay" lights. Nothing else happens, again no
> display on the screen.
>
> I have managed to get it to boot a couple of times through repeated
> powering on/off, but when I managed to get into Windows the keyboard
> was acting as if the Num Lock was permanently on even though it
> wasn't. I verified it wasn't a problem with the keyboard by booting
> into Linux (the laptop is dual-boot with Windows 2000 and Linux) where
> the keyboard worked fine.
>
> Does this sound like a hard drive issue? I took a good look at the
> various removable components to make sure they were seated correctly,
> and when I removed the hard drive I noticed it rattles as if there is
> something loose within the drive unit itself.
>
> I don't have a huge amount of experience with laptops, so any advice
> is welcome.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 20, 2004 7:32:53 AM

"Bruce Markowitz" <scosgt@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:<c6141f$6ligd$1@ID-232233.news.uni-berlin.de>...
> Change the RTC (CMOS) battery
> Re-seat the CPU

Bruce,

Is that a suggestion or a more concrete piece of resolution advice?
The bios (when I have been able to get in to check) has held it's
values okay, would that indicate that the CMOS battery is in fact
still okay?

Thanks,
Marc
a b D Laptop
April 21, 2004 1:32:19 AM

Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

You asked for advise, so that's the two things to try. If you don't
want advice, why ask?

On 20 Apr 2004 03:32:53 -0700, marc.mcallister@globalcrossing.com
(riddlermarc) wrote:

>"Bruce Markowitz" <scosgt@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:<c6141f$6ligd$1@ID-232233.news.uni-berlin.de>...
>> Change the RTC (CMOS) battery
>> Re-seat the CPU
>
>Bruce,
>
>Is that a suggestion or a more concrete piece of resolution advice?
>The bios (when I have been able to get in to check) has held it's
>values okay, would that indicate that the CMOS battery is in fact
>still okay?
>
>Thanks,
>Marc
April 21, 2004 10:31:56 AM

Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

Try www.laptopspares.com they are very helpful and if you quote my
name: Hamish they will definatly look after you. You can e-mail them
on sales@laptopspares.com or go to their site and call them.

scosgt@worldnet.att.net (Bruce Markowitz) wrote in message news:<408596d0.1062307@news-server.optonline.net>...
> You asked for advise, so that's the two things to try. If you don't
> want advice, why ask?
>
> On 20 Apr 2004 03:32:53 -0700, marc.mcallister@globalcrossing.com
> (riddlermarc) wrote:
>
> >"Bruce Markowitz" <scosgt@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message news:<c6141f$6ligd$1@ID-232233.news.uni-berlin.de>...
> >> Change the RTC (CMOS) battery
> >> Re-seat the CPU
> >
> >Bruce,
> >
> >Is that a suggestion or a more concrete piece of resolution advice?
> >The bios (when I have been able to get in to check) has held it's
> >values okay, would that indicate that the CMOS battery is in fact
> >still okay?
> >
> >Thanks,
> >Marc
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 21, 2004 11:45:04 AM

Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

scosgt@worldnet.att.net (Bruce Markowitz) wrote in message news:<408596d0.1062307@news-server.optonline.net>...
> You asked for advise, so that's the two things to try. If you don't
> want advice, why ask?

Whoah Bruce..! All I was asking in my last post was if you we're
merely offering some advice or if you were expertly sure that your
answer was a cure to the problem.

I am grateful for any advice, suggestions etc so please keep them
coming. I will try your advice this evening..

Regards,
Marc
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 21, 2004 5:04:20 PM

Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

> When I press the power button, the five "drive/num lock/caps
> lock/scroll lock/power" lights flash repeatedly as do the three

This sounds like a power supply problem (not the external brick, but
the onboard regulation).

> and when I removed the hard drive I noticed it rattles as if there is
> something loose within the drive unit itself.

This is normal. In fact, if it is an IBM (Hitachi) drive you should
have seen printed on the label "RATTLE NOISE IS NORMAL" :)
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 22, 2004 7:12:54 AM

Archived from groups: ibm.ibmpc.thinkpad,comp.sys.laptops (More info?)

How could I be sure not having the laptop on hand to diagnose it?
Can you detect cancer in someone by speaking with them on the phone?
Come on, get serious. I told you what to do to try to get the machine
up and running. If you don't want the advice, your problem.

!