bigman03

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
So I bought a prebuilt computer and I know that is not the best idea but is was a great deal at the time. But the case doesn't have much room and I have always been worried about heat, I am pretty sure that thats what broke why previos 8800GTS. Now I want to install some more hard drives, but there is no room. So I was wondering if it would be possible to take the motherboard and all the components and install them into a new case. I have read that hp makes its motherboards so that they only fit into their specific cases. Is that true? My motherboard is an Asus P5BW-LA, if that helps at all. Also, I want to put that into something like the Antec Nine Hundred or A Thermaltake Armor-MX case, or some other cool case, would that be possible? Thanks in advance

deadcell

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
The Antec 1200 should be one of your choices. It should support your MOBO (supports ATX, Mini, and Micro), but I am not too sure about HP and their MOBO sizes. Sometimes, it may require slight modifications, but its doable. To my understanding, this case has one of the best ventilations to date. 3x120mm in front, 2x120mm in the back, upper 200mm and 2x120mm left and right side panel optional. Oh and multiple HDD bays. This case is massive. I am transferingeverything in my XPS 435MT to this and I don't see why you shouldn't be able to. Slightly more than the 900 you menshioned, but this is a case for life. Let me know what you find out.
check this case out in detail at Antec's offecial website.

bigman03

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
I am kind of looking for the mid tower case I won't need that much room. Good case and deadcell did the back I/O panel shield of the motherboard fit into the case? Also, anyone know the best cases under $100?

deadcell

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2009
The best cases under 100 USD would be the Antec 900 you were looking at, the 900 II or one of my personal favorites, Thermaltake V9 Black Edition. I am sorry, I guess I am not too familiar with mid towers. I haven't tried the 1200 yet. In time I shall see. They should realy just classify all factory MOBOs in 3 different universal sizes. No odd balls, and built cases that supports all sizes. Just a suggestion, you know! Good luck with the transfering process! Let me know how it went...

bigman03

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
I have been looking at the Thermaltake V9 Black Edition its 64.99 after mail-in rebate on newegg, but the reviews at the best. Also, some reviewers are saying that the case is flimsy something I absolutely don't want and that there is always problems with the top fan. Is this at all true?

bigman03

Distinguished
Sep 26, 2009
Now that looks like a solid built case. So the only think I am worried about now is if my motherboard would connect to such a case. From what I have read online, some motherboards don't have the correct inputs for the wiring from the case, like the front usb ports won't connect or the power button is incompatible. Is this true? I have never done something like this before so any help would be great. Thanks