First build complete! But CPU not up to speed

mrcheeks00

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
I just finished my first build. Everything went smooth and is running great. Except One thing. My CPU is an intel e8500 3.16ghz but the BIOS is showing my processor clock speed at 2.84ghz. Windows, however, recognizes it as 3.16ghz. Is this normal or do I need to adjust the CPU clock speed in BIOS? Thank you in advance for any advise and help. Oh...the mobo I'm using is a Gigabyte ep45-ud3r.

thefox14

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
hmm thats a bit strange, but the bios is almost always 100% correct in those type of things. Its probably just Windows acting up to something, try downloading coretemp and see what it says.

Your multiplier seems to be off by 1 full step, the 8500 normally runs at 9.5, yours seems to be running at 8.5. Have you tried turning off intel speed step and seeing if that solves the problem? Also windows doesnt actually check the speed on the processor and just reports the speed that the CPU claims to be so its reading is not affected by the power saving technologies.

mrcheeks00

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2009
@hunter315

Nah, I haven't changed any of the settings yet. I can't remember what the multiplier was set to. As soon as I get home I'll check and post what everything is currently set to.

TRENDING THREADS