Sign in with
Your question

External HDD recommendations are needed.

Last response: in Storage
March 14, 2011 6:34:32 AM

Hello all and thank you for taking the time to read this. :) 

There's a little bit of help that i require, I'm not an alien to the HW/SW market and it's lingo however I've never bought an external hard-drive disk and i assume there may be some different parameters to take into consideration, please inform me if there are since i have no real experience in that area.

My HW requirement are as follow:

* Affordability, what else. :) 
* 2tb of free space
* firewire compatible (the old one, not a or b - the latest would be preferred if it's backward compatible)
* known product reliability.
* decent company costumer support.

- i intend to buy some kind of cooling case to that HDD but if there's a reliable pre-made solution it'd be preferable.

What model would you people recommend?

EDIT:
These are some of the models that are available to me, maybe it may help you to help me in any way. :) 

Seagate External Desktop Drive 2000GB ST320005EXD101RK
IOmega 2000GB Prestige 2TB 3.5''

thank you in advance. :) 
a c 116 G Storage
March 14, 2011 2:31:03 PM

When I was interested in this, I looked at several off-the-shelf external enclosures. In addition to the HDD, I wanted a built-in cooling fan.

I ended up buying two of these enclosures: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

These enclosures have been in use reliably for over 15 months. The eSATA works fast, and on my desktop that does not have eSATA, I use USB 2.0 (works fine).

In one of these enclosures, I use: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

On the other, I use: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Both these HDDs are 1TB drives.

These enclosures will support up to 2 TB SATA HDDs. Select the one of your choice.

BTW, I prefer to stay with 1TB because of reliability issues. I read somewhere that all the HDD manufacturers are having trouble with their drives over 1TB. This was about 6 months ago, and I hope these issues have been resolved by the manufacturers.
m
l
April 10, 2011 8:35:59 AM

Ubrales said:
When I was interested in this, I looked at several off-the-shelf external enclosures. In addition to the HDD, I wanted a built-in cooling fan.

By enclosures you mean a regular HDD that is being encased withing a cooling box? I hope I did understand you correctly.

Although that solution maybe good for me(checking and comparing right now, thanks :)  ) but I need to buy one for me and one for my folks.
I can make do with a rigged drive but I'd prefer a pre made solution for them.

I know the regular internal brands of HDD but, again, have no clue about the external type.
That's why i am really in need of known, user tested, and trustworthy brands names.

It's going to be a gift and I would rather not to have my parents life more complicated with HW they can't maintain. :) 
m
l
a c 116 G Storage
April 10, 2011 2:14:33 PM

tuxu said:
By enclosures you mean a regular HDD that is being encased withing a cooling box? I hope I did understand you correctly.

Although that solution maybe good for me(checking and comparing right now, thanks :)  ) but I need to buy one for me and one for my folks.
I can make do with a rigged drive but I'd prefer a pre made solution for them.

I know the regular internal brands of HDD but, again, have no clue about the external type.
That's why i am really in need of known, user tested, and trustworthy brands names.

It's going to be a gift and I would rather not to have my parents life more complicated with HW they can't maintain. :) 

All external back up devices have 1) an enclosure, and 2) a hard disk, inside.

When you buy an external enclosure like the one I linked, you open it and plug in a hard disk. After that, the unit performs exactly like any other commercially purchased product. No difference. And no further maintenance is required. The user can use it like any other external backup device.
m
l
!