Question about die shrink

intelx

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
ok recently i heard that intel is going to release a 32nm chip which is going to be used instead of the 45nm, but how does a smaller die effect the speed? and how does a smaller die produce less heat can someone help me out.

First, 32nm is not the die size. It is related, but die size also has to do with the number of transistors. 32nm is the size of a single transistor. Smaller transistors can typically switch faster using less voltage, allowing an identical architecture CPU to run faster with less power. Often though, the manufacturer will make a similar size die on the smaller process, but using more transistors. This allows for more features and more cores while staying in roughly the same power envelope.

intelx

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
o so the 32nm is the transistors size not the cpu die, now that makes sense, shrinking the transistors so they can add more in the same chip.

so smaller transistors use less volts and power which is why 32 run cooler than 45, and they switch faster, which is why a core 2 duo 32 is faster than a core 2 duo 45 clock per clock

is what im saying correct or im not making any sense?

intelx

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
in the last one about the architecture, your talking about how they moved from p4 netbrust to core 2 then to nahlem right? and how they changed cpu's stages for reading and writing.

so for example the p4 used more stages but with less work per clock, core 2 used less stages with more work per clock and reading in parallel etc.. right?

intelx

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
intel goes by tick tock right? tick is when they shrink the transistors size so they can add more in the same chip to gain more performance at lower volts/power, and tock for a new processor microarchitecture that is going from Pentium 4 to Core 2 to Core I serious.