peter2004

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
this is the question my last computer was an x2 4800+ 9800gtx+ superclocked and when i was playing killing floor i would get 170 fps now this computer was stolen so i got another on the cpu is an amd x2 7550 now it;s the same clock speed but it scores higer in vista my 4800 would get 5.1 and this one gets 5.4, i was low on money so i picked up an evga 9800gt now my fps in killing flow are only 60fps now is it the cpu i don't think it is or is the 9800gt that slow compared to my old evga 9800gtx+ superlcoked now i was told the x2 7550 are a lot faster so dose the 9800gt suck

Dekasav

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2008
Firstly, I'd like to say that grammar is a good thing.

Second, both your new cpu and new gpu are close in performance to your old ones. CPU is a little faster, GPU is a little slower, but the difference shouldn't be that high, either way.

Couple of things to check: 1. Are your settings all the same? 2. Is vSync on?

Lastly, does it make a difference? 60+ FPS is good for anything, check with a different game. But the 9800GT doesn't "suck", it's probably only 10-15% slower than your 9800GTX+ Superclock.

peter2004

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2009
Thanks i will check i think maybe it's these crap drivers i kept away from the last 3 new drivers because they would slow down my 9800gtx i am going to try the old ones that i was useing before i think it was 182.08 that worked good for me

Now that I can understand what you posted...

Your new CPU is faster clock for clock compared to your old x2 4800+.
This is because it has a newer, more efficient architecture.
Looking at your Vista performance score alone, however, does not tell you very much.
The reason being, it takes the lowest scoring component and sets that as your final score.
If you want to see what is really going on, look at the individual component scores (or run some real benchmarks).

Yes, your 9800GT is slower than your previous 9800GTX+.
Without looking up any benchmarks, I would put it in the 20-25% slower range.
This is not, however, enough to half your fps.
I would assume you have either vSync or Triple Buffering enabled.
Disabling these options, both in the game and in the nVidia control panel, should allow your FPS to rise.

Myself, I would leave vSync or Triple Buffering enabled.
As your display (probably) has a 60hz refresh rate, it is only capable of displaying 60 full frames per second.
When you try to display more fps than the refresh rate, your screen will start tearing as it updates only part of the view.
For a good overview on why you should leave one of these options enabled, take a look at the following article:
Triple Buffering: Why We Love It