Sign in with
Your question

$1300 gaming pc (1st build)

Last response: in Systems
June 24, 2009 5:13:38 PM

I want to finally build my first PC, but have some questions. This is what I have, I need to know if everything is compatible and maybe you guys have other suggestions.

APPROXIMATE PURCHASE DATE: End of July, maybe sooner. BUDGET RANGE: $1300

SYSTEM USAGE FROM MOST TO LEAST IMPORTANT: gaming, surfing the Internet, watching movies

PARTS NOT REQUIRED: keyboard, OS (Win 7RC), Mouse

PREFERRED WEBSITE(S) FOR PARTS: newegg.com

PARTS PREFERENCES: Intel CPU

OVERCLOCKING: Maybe, not sure.

CROSSFIRE: I do plan to down the road

MONITOR RESOLUTION: 1080p?

Case: I am going to get this case for sure.
Antec Nine Hundred Two Black Steel ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

DVD: I would really like to do this, but don't know where to get the slimeline drives and if it would be a good idea.
Combo Kit for Dual Slimline CD/DVD - Black Bezel

If not that, then I'll probably go with this.
SAMSUNG 22X DVD±R DVD Burner with LightScribe Black SATA Model SH-S223Q - OEM

Mobo:
ASUS P6T SE LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

GPU: Will probably get a second one down the road
SAPPHIRE 100259-1GL Radeon HD 4870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail

PSU:
CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power ... - Retail

CPU:
Intel Core i7 920 Nehalem 2.66GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core Processor Model BX80601920 - Retail

RAM:
OCZ Gold 6GB (3 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Low Voltage Desktop Memory Model OCZ3G1600LV6GK - Retail

HD: good choice?
Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive - OEM

Monitor: open for suggestions
ASUS VK246H Black 24" 2ms(GTG) HDMI Widescreen LCD Monitor 300 cd/m2 DC 1000:1 (ASCR 20000:1 ) Built in Speakers w/ 1.3m Pixel Webcam - Retail

Cooler: maybe this one? i know i have to buy a separate bracket
XIGMATEK HDT-S1283 120mm Rifle CPU Cooler - Retail

paste:
Arctic Silver 5 Thermal Compound - OEM

Grand Total: $1,479.43 (with some current combos. WAY overbudget)

My newegg wish list.

More about : 1300 gaming 1st build

June 24, 2009 5:15:53 PM

You may want to check your post...
Related resources
June 24, 2009 5:20:46 PM

Yeah, I accidentally clicked submit instead of preview. XP. I'm fixing it.
June 24, 2009 5:23:16 PM

Thats a lot of power for that build, and will accept the 2nd 4870 n/p.

Just fyi, the 1tb version of the drive is on sale for 99...just something to consider.

That case makes cable management pretty easy. It 'll look nice and clean if you put some time into the build
June 24, 2009 5:23:36 PM

Alright now that you dont have the antec 900 as your PSU, now i can start asking some real questions. First what resolution is your monitor? Second, are you planning to overclock? Third you are aware that 775 is EOL now and wont have any future upgrades correct?
June 24, 2009 5:40:57 PM

hunter315 said:
Alright now that you dont have the antec 900 as your PSU, now i can start asking some real questions. First what resolution is your monitor? Second, are you planning to overclock? Third you are aware that 775 is EOL now and wont have any future upgrades correct?

Finally I'm done editing. I got so mad when I clicked on the wrong damn thing.

Now, to answer your questions. First, I don't have a monitor, I want a 22 or 24 inch one. second, I might overclock but don't want to if I don't need to. I want to play Call of duty, and if this PC can handle it fine w/o overclocking, then I won't. third, I don't know what you're talking about XP, I'm new, that's why I'm asking you pros. hehe
June 24, 2009 5:53:20 PM

EOL stands for END-OF-LIFE (caps for ominous-ness). It refers to the line ending. Thus, if you buy a 775 chipset, you can see all the processors available to you. Any upgrade will involve a new mobo, cpu, (and likely) ram.
June 24, 2009 6:01:39 PM

techwizard08 said:
EOL stands for END-OF-LIFE (caps for ominous-ness). It refers to the line ending. Thus, if you buy a 775 chipset, you can see all the processors available to you. Any upgrade will involve a new mobo, cpu, (and likely) ram.

Well it's a good thing I asked then, which mobo do you recommend?
June 24, 2009 6:03:17 PM

Well if you want something upgradable in the future your options are an AMD Phenom II processor and AM3 board, or an intel i7 920 and an LGA 1366 board however i7's are more expensive but you have the budget for one if you want one.
June 24, 2009 6:11:23 PM

I do want to stick to Intel, I am planing to keep this build for some time. But if you guys think I should go with i7, and it stays within my budget, then maybe I will. But again, I need you guys' help.
June 24, 2009 7:25:51 PM

should I wait till the i5 comes out?
June 24, 2009 11:27:16 PM

d_mon1 said:
should I wait till the i5 comes out?

hum... The core i7 Should be better (if it's overclocked) compared to an i5, which (supposedly) is more oriented towards "mainstream". But it all depends on what you do (you probably won't see much of a change in gaming). But we can't know for sure.

You will probably have to spend less money thought.

Mc_coy
June 24, 2009 11:46:51 PM

The main thing I will be doing in this build would be gaming. And occasional web surfing.
June 25, 2009 3:16:19 AM

NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO and finally no...you dont want LGA775 sockets in your system get LGA1366. For that money you can get an excellent LGA1366 i7 920 nehalem, 6GB of tri-channel memory and have enough money for everything else you want. If you get your 775 socket, you wont be able to upgrade later becuase they are fading it out now.
June 25, 2009 5:00:18 PM

blackhawk1928 said:
NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO NO and finally no...you dont want LGA775 sockets in your system get LGA1366. For that money you can get an excellent LGA1366 i7 920 nehalem, 6GB of tri-channel memory and have enough money for everything else you want. If you get your 775 socket, you wont be able to upgrade later becuase they are fading it out now.

OK, I updated the list and put the i7 920. But now I have to change the motherboard and memory right?
June 25, 2009 5:19:05 PM

Correct, you need an LGA1366 socket type motherboard to support your i7, you need 6GB of triple channel memory meaning 3 sticks of 2GB each to use the full bandwidth and power of your i7. Also your memory has to be at least 1066mhz of speed because of your socket. I recommend getting 1333mhz of 6GB with your system.

-Of course you can use dual channel but your processor will be heavily bottlenecked by your ram and you dont want that.
June 25, 2009 5:22:07 PM

any recommendations for the mobo and ram? and anything else? (links)
June 25, 2009 7:56:15 PM

Hmm, there are so many good mobo's out there, for manufactures I recommend Asus and Gigabyte, both are really good, for you, an Asus P6t Deluxe should do the job.
June 25, 2009 7:57:27 PM

Oh and sorry for double post but for ram, I recommend triple channel by any of the following manufactures:
-Micron
-OCZ
-Corsair
-Kingston
June 25, 2009 8:47:24 PM

NP man, I've updated the list, I might pull the trigger sooner then I thought. I can't wait to build it, I just wish there was somebody I knew from the bay area who can give me a hand. I don't want to mess up anything.
June 25, 2009 9:14:45 PM

The asus p6t and the OCZ were an excellent choice, reliable and high quality ram and nice motherboard. Your mobo is also good for over-clocking if you ever want to get into that. Personally Micron is my favorite but they are server/business-grade meaning less faulty, lower latency, and faster but they far more expensive and crucial sells them so for a normal consumer micron is overkill lol, but i just felt like recommending for some reason, but dont get it...

-Also for your PSU, i really dont know how good antec is, but I know that Coolermaster, OCZ, and Corsair make excellent power supplies, they are reliable and just dont break, so you sit calm knowing your system is safe.
June 25, 2009 9:28:49 PM

Thanks for all your help black hawk.

This guy's selling the Antec PSU to me for $100, that's why I'm thinking of buying it. But do you guys think 850W is overkill for this build? Keep in mind that I do plan to crossfire down the road though.
June 25, 2009 9:45:24 PM

hunter315 said:
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1681...

More than sufficient for crossfire and 20 cheaper. Also you are aware that combo kit you have linked to does not include the drives and is simply a mounting bracket right?

Are you sure 650W is enough? If so, then I will get this instead. And yeah, I am aware of that. It's just something I think might be neat to have on my PC.

Oh yeah, and you linked me to the Canadian Newegg, here's the US one.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
June 25, 2009 9:48:15 PM

If you look under the specs for the 4870 it says that a 600 watt power supply is required and the corsair 650 is stronger than alot of 700 watt power supplies
June 25, 2009 9:50:58 PM

So you're saying it's enough for one 4870 right? but how about two?
June 25, 2009 9:52:22 PM

Sorry i worded it poorly, here it the bit from the specs page i was refering to, the crossfire power requirements are bolded

PCI Express based PC is required with one X16 lane graphics slot available on the motherboard
500 Watt or greater power supply with two 75W 6-pin PCI Express power connectors recommended (600 Watt and four 6-pin connectors for ATI CrossFireX technology in dual mode)
June 25, 2009 9:55:09 PM

Then I'm adding it to the list, list updated. Anything else I should change?
June 25, 2009 11:04:10 PM

d_mon1 said:
Thanks for all your help black hawk.

This guy's selling the Antec PSU to me for $100, that's why I'm thinking of buying it. But do you guys think 850W is overkill for this build? Keep in mind that I do plan to crossfire down the road though.

-Your very welcome :-)
June 26, 2009 8:13:31 PM

Regarding your previous mention of the Digistor Combo Kit for Dual Slimline: I used this product in a recent build and it worked great as a solution to integrate 2 slot load optical drives in a desktop size media player.

We needed a slot-load for this project since it gives the system a more eloquent, stylish look (who wants to deal with tray load drives in a media center, high end customers think they look tacky.) however there are *no* manufacturers who product a slot-load DVD or Desktop Slot load Blu-ray drive (believe it or not). Since there are many manufacturers who product slot load optical drives for notebook - it is easy to obtain a notebook slot load drive.

Here's a really good pic of the product for those who aren't familiar. Basically, this product let's you mount two 12.7mm notebook size drives into a single 5.25" drive bay - you can choose any 12.7mm notebook drive to mount inside. Then just slide it into your drive bay and connect:

(*note: this company also offers a single bezel solution which allows you to mount one notebook size drive in your desktop PC or server rack, since we were working with a media center - we needed something with a little bit more custom feel.)

Here's a picture of the drives and chassis installed in a system, looked great and I couldn't find another solution quite like it:

This item is from SLI, they specialize in Optical Storage Solutions (www.slidirect.com - they sell the notebook size drives for this too).

June 26, 2009 8:29:16 PM

mbobrowski said:
Regarding your previous mention of the Digistor Combo Kit for Dual Slimline: I used this product in a recent build and it worked great as a solution to integrate 2 slot load optical drives in a desktop size media player.

Nice! I'm definitely going to get this now. It just looks so clean. But which one of these should I get? Not the blue ray ones, they're WAY too expensive.

June 26, 2009 9:20:44 PM

Yes, the slim Blu-ray drives are a bit expensive right now (in comparison to the desktop size) since the technology is so new.

If you are trying to balance functionality with price, I'd recommend a slot load Blu-ray combo drive (like this) - with this drive you can read/write CD and DVD, additionally you can also playback (but not write) Blu-ray. I'd recommend model UJ-135 from Panasonic - pricing is at $199 each at SLI

Click here to view the product link on SLI's homepage. For $199, it's a pretty great buy and it allows you to playback Blu-ray - highly recommended :)  I used this model drive to upgrade my MacBook Pro 17" to allow me to playback Blu-ray.
June 26, 2009 10:30:28 PM

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. Now I'm really going to be over budget......
June 29, 2009 3:35:34 PM

!