Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Help! My first custom computer! Need Suggestions / Support

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Computer
  • Product
Last response: in CPUs
Share
September 27, 2009 7:39:36 AM

Hey guys, I'm looking to make my first custom computer. I was wondering if you guys could give me some suggestions or tips before i actually buy all the parts and i assemble it. Here is what i got so far:
Ok well after final tweaks, this is the list i have come up with. What do you guys think?



UPDATED LIST :


http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...
Processor ^ $200.00

----- For the overclocked Processer -----
http://www.compusa.com/applications/searchtools/item-de...
Heat Sink ^ $22

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...
Thermal paste ^ $15


http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...
Motherboard ^ - $130

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...
4gb Ram ^ - $112

http://www.compusa.com/applications/searchtools/item-de...
Computer Case ^ - $100

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...
DVD Burner ^ $30

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...
Video Card ^ $200

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...
Hard Drives ^ $70 x2 = $140

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...
Power Supply ^ $100

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...
Dual DVI for TV ^ - $20

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...
Serial-ATA Cables $10 x3 = $30

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...
Ultra Antistatic Wrist Strap ^ 7$

TOTAL: $1106

Note: I am using the sound card from my current rig because it works just fine, also i am just getting a cheap dvd rom because i got a nice sony DL burner via usb.

Thanks!!
-Fahey

More about : custom computer suggestions support

a b à CPUs
September 27, 2009 9:28:37 AM

well looks good but its a bad time to go with a 775 build id suggest tht i5 or amd 955x4 route but cant find the i5 there

XFX Radeon HD 4890 Video Card - 1024MB DDR5, PCI Express 2.0 x16, CrossFireX Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...

NZXT Tempest ATX Mid-Tower Case - Clear Sides, Front USB, eSATA Ports

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...

Ultra Antistatic Wrist Strap

and sata and DVI cables same as yours

OCZ / GameXStream / 850-Watt / ATX / 120mm Fan / SATA-Ready / SLI-Ready / Active PFC / Power Supply

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...

LG GH22NS50 DVD Writer - DVD+R 22x, DVD+RW 8X, DVD-RW 6x, DVD-RAM 12x, SATA (OEM)

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...

OCZ Dual Channel Platinum 4096MB PC12800 DDR3 1600MHz DDR3 Memory (2x2048MB)

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Quad Core Processor - 3.20GHz, Socket AM3, 6MB Cache, 2000MHz (4000 MT/s) FSB, Retail, Processor

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...

Asus M4A79XTD EVO AMD 790X Socket AM3 Motherboard - ATX, PCIe 2.0, 12x USB 2.0

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...

$1,068.83 for an extra $54
you get a faster cpu better and ddr3 ram and the am3 platform for future upgradability

but since the 955 is a chip made for overclocking i'd add this

Cooler Master RR-B10-212P-GP Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler - 120mm, LGA 1366, 1156, 775, AMD AM3, AM2+, AM2

http://www.compusa.com/applications/searchtools/item-de...

and http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...
September 27, 2009 10:16:50 AM

$10 for a SATA cable! seems like rather a lot to me.
Also I agree with the above, go for a PhenomII or i5/i7. And a good GPU is better than two not so good ones.
Related resources
September 27, 2009 1:34:30 PM

obsidian86 said:
well looks good but its a bad time to go with a 775 build id suggest tht i5 or amd 955x4 route but cant find the i5 there

XFX Radeon HD 4890 Video Card - 1024MB DDR5, PCI Express 2.0 x16, CrossFireX Ready, (Dual Link) Dual DVI, HDTV

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...

NZXT Tempest ATX Mid-Tower Case - Clear Sides, Front USB, eSATA Ports

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...

Ultra Antistatic Wrist Strap

and sata and DVI cables same as yours

OCZ / GameXStream / 850-Watt / ATX / 120mm Fan / SATA-Ready / SLI-Ready / Active PFC / Power Supply

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...

LG GH22NS50 DVD Writer - DVD+R 22x, DVD+RW 8X, DVD-RW 6x, DVD-RAM 12x, SATA (OEM)

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...

OCZ Dual Channel Platinum 4096MB PC12800 DDR3 1600MHz DDR3 Memory (2x2048MB)

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Quad Core Processor - 3.20GHz, Socket AM3, 6MB Cache, 2000MHz (4000 MT/s) FSB, Retail, Processor

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...

Asus M4A79XTD EVO AMD 790X Socket AM3 Motherboard - ATX, PCIe 2.0, 12x USB 2.0

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...

$1,068.83 for an extra $54
you get a faster cpu better and ddr3 ram and the am3 platform for future upgradability

but since the 955 is a chip made for overclocking i'd add this

Cooler Master RR-B10-212P-GP Hyper 212 Plus CPU Cooler - 120mm, LGA 1366, 1156, 775, AMD AM3, AM2+, AM2

http://www.compusa.com/applications/searchtools/item-de...

and http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...


Thanks a ton for this! Just a few quick questions. You said that 775 is a bad build right now and amd is better, why is that? Also I'm guessing this is because the processor is much better. Second, if in the future i wanted to use crossfire, is that motherboard capable, i couldn't see anything that said crossfire ready. Finally, my power unit says SLI ready on it, i assume this wont affect if it runs crossfire or not for if i ever buy a second GPU?

Once again thanks a ton!!

-Fahey
a b à CPUs
September 27, 2009 1:42:14 PM

ok intel stopped making 775 sockets so you wont be able to upgrade using the same board and ram in future,the am3 platform is newer and will last a few yrs with newer tech coming out and the board is a crossfire board all 790 boards are,sli/crossfire ready only means your power supply can support 2 graphics cards doesn matter if its sli or crossfire
a c 159 à CPUs
September 27, 2009 1:48:20 PM

For your first build, checkout the propus 620 quad core at newegg for $99, and a 785 chipset motherboard. Newegg has a combo special with ecs 785 board and propus 620 for around $175 with rebate. Some of the amd boards use ddr2, some ddr3, so check your board specs carefully before ordering memory. All am3 boards use ddr3 only, but am2+ boards work with either am2 or am3 cpus and use ddr2. For your first build, I would not plan on overclocking or using an sli setup. Just getting everything working smoothly will be a challenge. I remember my first build with a pentium 100 cpu. It was not a pleasant experience.
a b à CPUs
September 27, 2009 4:58:31 PM

After you settle on a motherboard go to the manufacture's site and check the QVL (qualified vendor list) to make sure you get memory that has been tested for compatibility. On initial boot-up I recommend using only 1 stick, then after Posting or loading an Op-Sys shutting down and add another.
September 27, 2009 6:11:33 PM

unclefester said:
After you settle on a motherboard go to the manufacture's site and check the QVL (qualified vendor list) to make sure you get memory that has been tested for compatibility. On initial boot-up I recommend using only 1 stick, then after Posting or loading an Op-Sys shutting down and add another.

Thanks for the tip. May i ask why you recommend using only 1 stick at first?
September 27, 2009 6:43:16 PM

Also, i was looking at the QVL for the Asus M4A79XTD EVO AMD 790X Socket AM3 Motherboard - ATX, PCIe 2.0, 12x USB 2.0 and the Ram i had selected: OCZ Dual Channel Platinum 4096MB PC12800 DDR3 1600MHz DDR3 Memory (2x2048MB)
was not on the list. Will it still work?
Also, i was looking at the part numbers of the ones of the QVL and none of them were on comp usa. Does the ram i buy need to have the same part number or does it just need to be like the same vendor and have the same timing lables?
Thanks.
Note: here is QVL http://usa.asus.com/product.aspx?P_ID=vk9Pqxby9MjO0WHm&...
a b à CPUs
September 27, 2009 9:26:51 PM

The reason I recommend adding 1 stick at a time is on a previous platform I up-graded the memory slammed both sticks at once and killed the MoBo. And recently I did a BIOS up-grade with 4 stick in and killed a stick.

On an uneducated guess on my part I would have to say there's over 80% chance that they will work. But to be on the safe side go to OCZ' forum and post the question. They seem to respond in a timely manor, as ASUS doesn't up-date their list as often as they should.
a b à CPUs
September 27, 2009 10:09:18 PM

i used that same ram on that board and worked fine you just need to manaully set voltage and timings
September 27, 2009 10:49:23 PM

obsidian86 said:
i used that same ram on that board and worked fine you just need to manaully set voltage and timings

sounds kind of hard.. Is there a guide anywhere?
a b à CPUs
September 27, 2009 11:00:41 PM

You can try to boot with both sticks, but it the memory is of a type that needs more than standard voltage, then it will likely only boot with 1 stick. You boot, go into the BIOS, set the correct voltage for the memory you have, shut down and install the 2 nd stick. Of course, if it boots fine with both sticks, then just ignore this.

Guide? Yeah, it is called a motherboard manual, you know, usually found in the box with the motherboard.........
October 1, 2009 2:33:56 AM
October 1, 2009 2:45:26 AM

Fahley, that builds pretty good, but the 955 BE is on newegg for $180 dollars i thinks. Saving $20 on the same thing never hurt anyone ;) 
October 1, 2009 3:06:05 AM

yannifb said:
Fahley, that builds pretty good, but the 955 BE is on newegg for $180 dollars i thinks. Saving $20 on the same thing never hurt anyone ;) 

ah thanks for that
October 5, 2009 12:51:47 PM

Finally, do you guys think i should extend the manufacturer warranty on any of the computer parts? Thanks
October 5, 2009 1:18:35 PM

Fahey said:
Hey guys, I'm looking to make my first custom computer. I was wondering if you guys could give me some suggestions or tips before i actually buy all the parts and i assemble it. Here is what i got so far:

http://www.compusa.com/applications/searchtools/item-de...
Processor ^ $219.99

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...
Motherboard ^ - $109

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...
4gb Ram ^ - $69

http://www.compusa.com/applications/searchtools/item-de...
Computer Case ^ - $100

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...
DVD Burner ^ $30

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...
Video Card ^ $95 x 2 = $190

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...
Hard Drives ^ $70 x2 = $140

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...
Power Supply ^ $100

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...
Dual DVI for TV ^ - $20

http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...
Serial-ATA Cables ^ $10 x3 = $30

And ofcourse Ultra Antistatic Wrist Strap haha
http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-de...
Ultra Antistatic Wrist Strap ^ 7$

TOTAL: $1014

Note: I am using the sound card from my current rig because it works just fine, also i am just getting a cheap dvd rom because i got a nice sony DL burner via usb.

Thanks!!
-Fahey


i have to ask you first of all , what do u need ur computer for?
is it just for internet and office apps?
do you plan to play games on it?
is it a gaming rig?
what r ur needs , first and foremost? after we get that covered we can get into the budget and then see what u can get for it.
October 5, 2009 8:25:28 PM

elasticman said:
i have to ask you first of all , what do u need ur computer for?
is it just for internet and office apps?
do you plan to play games on it?
is it a gaming rig?
what r ur needs , first and foremost? after we get that covered we can get into the budget and then see what u can get for it.

Well i already have a final list: it is for gaming

http://www.compusa.com/application [...] u=A79-0955
Processor ^ $200.00

----- For the overclocked Processer -----
http://www.compusa.com/application [...] No=4950641
Heat Sink ^ $22

http://www.compusa.com/application [...] &CatId=503
Thermal paste ^ $15


http://www.compusa.com/application [...] =A455-2903
Motherboard ^ - $130

http://www.compusa.com/application [...] =O261-8098
4gb Ram ^ - $112

http://www.compusa.com/application [...] tresources
Computer Case ^ - $100

http://www.compusa.com/application [...] 1028%20OEM
DVD Burner ^ $30

http://www.compusa.com/application [...] =P450-4894
Video Card ^ $200

http://www.compusa.com/application [...] TSD-750AS3
Hard Drives ^ $70 x2 = $140

http://www.compusa.com/application [...] =O261-2006
Power Supply ^ $100

http://www.compusa.com/application [...] C184-26911
Dual DVI for TV ^ - $20

http://www.compusa.com/application [...] 5&CatId=84
Serial-ATA Cables $10 x3 = $30

http://www.compusa.com/application [...] CatId=4748
Ultra Antistatic Wrist Strap ^ 7$

TOTAL: $1106

At the moment i am just wondering if/what i should get the extended warranty on some things.
a b à CPUs
October 5, 2009 8:31:07 PM

the ram has a life time warranty cpu,board 3 yrs and xfx has double lifetime warranty power supply i think it may be 5 yrs but most manufactures offer 3 yrs
October 5, 2009 8:34:29 PM

obsidian86 said:
the ram has a life time warranty cpu,board 3 yrs and xfx has double lifetime warranty power supply i think it may be 5 yrs but most manufactures offer 3 yrs

so would you recommend i extend anything?
a b à CPUs
October 5, 2009 8:43:48 PM

this has been going on a while i think i can make my build better

hold on a sec
October 5, 2009 8:46:56 PM

Fahey said:
Well i already have a final list: it is for gaming

http://www.compusa.com/application [...] u=A79-0955
Processor ^ $200.00

----- For the overclocked Processer -----
http://www.compusa.com/application [...] No=4950641
Heat Sink ^ $22

http://www.compusa.com/application [...] &CatId=503
Thermal paste ^ $15


http://www.compusa.com/application [...] =A455-2903
Motherboard ^ - $130

http://www.compusa.com/application [...] =O261-8098
4gb Ram ^ - $112

http://www.compusa.com/application [...] tresources
Computer Case ^ - $100

http://www.compusa.com/application [...] 1028%20OEM
DVD Burner ^ $30

http://www.compusa.com/application [...] =P450-4894
Video Card ^ $200

http://www.compusa.com/application [...] TSD-750AS3
Hard Drives ^ $70 x2 = $140

http://www.compusa.com/application [...] =O261-2006
Power Supply ^ $100

http://www.compusa.com/application [...] C184-26911
Dual DVI for TV ^ - $20

http://www.compusa.com/application [...] 5&CatId=84
Serial-ATA Cables $10 x3 = $30

http://www.compusa.com/application [...] CatId=4748
Ultra Antistatic Wrist Strap ^ 7$

TOTAL: $1106

At the moment i am just wondering if/what i should get the extended warranty on some things.



there are problems with the links you have posted.
cannot see them,but if you are already sure of what youre getting than it doesnt really matter;)
October 5, 2009 9:01:10 PM

elasticman said:
there are problems with the links you have posted.
cannot see them,but if you are already sure of what youre getting than it doesnt really matter;)

its because of the [...] in them. just look up a few posts from where you posted without reading previous posts -_-
October 5, 2009 9:01:41 PM

if your buying that c2q you might as well get an i5. Overall a bit more for the mobo and ddr3 ram, but worth it imo
October 5, 2009 9:05:28 PM

No to EVER buying an extended warranty. Period. Period. Period.
October 5, 2009 9:07:26 PM

naidor said:
if your buying that c2q you might as well get an i5. Overall a bit more for the mobo and ddr3 ram, but worth it imo


Just updated the first list since a lot of people aren't checking posts below it. I am thinking your post refers to the first build.
a b à CPUs
October 5, 2009 9:17:20 PM

SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 22X DVD-R 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner LightScribe Support - OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

NZXT TEMPEST Crafted Series CS-NT-TEM-B Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive(the fastest non ssd hdd out right now)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Seagate Barracuda LP ST31000520AS 1TB 5900 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASUS M4A78T-E AM3 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard - Retail
(cant seem to find the 790xtd anymore)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

XFX HD-489A-ZDFC Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
Double Lifetime Manufacture Warranty

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
(enough for 2 cards)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

AMD Phenom II X4 955 Black Edition Deneb 3.2GHz 4 x 512KB L2 Cache 6MB L3 Cache Socket AM3 125W Quad-Core Processor - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Sunbeam CR-CCTF 120 mm Core-Contact Freezer CPU Cooler W/TX-2

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

$1,040.91 add $50 for cables and wrist strap
a b à CPUs
October 5, 2009 9:29:34 PM

or this

SAMSUNG Black 22X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 22X DVD-R 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-ROM 2MB Cache SATA DVD Burner LightScribe Support - OEM

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

NZXT TEMPEST Crafted Series CS-NT-TEM-B Black Steel / Plastic ATX Mid Tower Computer Case - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD502HJ 500GB 7200 RPM 16MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive(the fastest non ssd hdd out right now)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Seagate Barracuda LP ST31000520AS 1TB 5900 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Hard Drive -

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

ASUS P7P55D PRO LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

hsf http://www.amazon.com/Cooler-Master-RR-B10-212P-GP-Univ...

thermal compound http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

XFX HD-489A-ZDFC Radeon HD 4890 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFire Supported Video Card - Retail
Double Lifetime Manufacture Warranty

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

CORSAIR CMPSU-750TX 750W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
(enough for 2 cards)

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL7D-4GBRH - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


$1103 add $50 for cables and wrist strap
October 6, 2009 6:58:33 AM

Fahey said:
Just updated the first list since a lot of people aren't checking posts below it. I am thinking your post refers to the first build.

sorry yea i only saw your old post when i responded... then after i respond i see like 10 more posts in betwen as well as your edit... the 955 is definitely on par with i5.
October 6, 2009 10:21:06 PM

naidor said:
sorry yea i only saw your old post when i responded... then after i respond i see like 10 more posts in betwen as well as your edit... the 955 is definitely on par with i5.


I agree the 955 is on par with the i5, but does get kinda beat by the i7s (but there is a $100 diff in price).
!