AMI BIOS on Supermicro X8SAX CPU Ratio Question please

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
I have a Supermicro X8SAX board with the AMI Bios.I also own a Core i7 965Extreme CPU and I thought that with this I can unlock the CPU and overclock a little bit.
In the AMI Bios there is a setting which states:
CPU Ratio CMOS Setting and it states the default is 24.When you try to change this you see either
AUTO OR MANUAL but I do not see the ability to put a number in like "23" or "25" just auto or manual.
What do I need to do to change this ratio to another number ?
This is really stupid !!!! It should do this for me as I have an "unlocked" CPU or at leadt I thought you can do this.

I need help and maybe someone can advise me.
Thanks in advance
gorehound

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
The Supermicro folks have been of no help at all.
On another note I bought this board w/ 1600 XMP RAM and an I7 Extreme CPU.
The manual I read before buying this combo and it is the manual I have in hard copy states you can run an Intel I7 at 1600mhz as long as RAM is XMP.

Well guess what ? The company changed the manual so now it reads you can not do this.It also says revision 1.1 on the front of the manual instead of saying revision 1.0 like mine.I did read this manual 1.0 weeks before buying and online.
I think I am done with this company and will buy a motherboard from another company.They lied and changed their manual and I blew around $700 more because of them.

gtuma

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010

how did you get supermicro to send you the new bios. All I got when I inquired was:
"
All Intel release processors is lock the ratio clock and our BIOS does not have option to over clock the processor speed and it not recommend.

Thank you

DL
"
I would very much like to have some more options to play with.

Pelissier

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
I simply asked the support and they sent me the 1.1 BIOS.
But it was no big help: I hoped to get my second board with an i7 940 to the same QPI 6.4 and six RAM DIMMs to 1333 as i had with the1.0c on the first board, but the BIOS slowed the fast board down :cry:
But with the 1.1 the clock multiplier for the CPU can be set. Because the 940 runs with the highest multiplicator by default, i don't use it.
But TurboBoost works: It gives 133 MHz more for an desktop CPU and 266 for a server CPU like the W5580.
I'll see what programs like SoftFSB can do to get a little more speed.

gtuma

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
on 1.0c I can't even set my qpi to 6.4. Though that would be quite nice. I also cannot set my 1333mhz ram over 1066. I was hoping this was a bios thing. Its not that it doesn't run, I just don't have the option to set it any higher than the defaults.

Pelissier

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
The 1.1 has new timings.
With these timings my slow board, which used only 1066 for 1 to 3 RAMs, where Intel says 1333 is within CPU specification limits, could run with 1333. But when i uses 6 RAMs it does only 1066, due to the Intel specification.
In the 1.1 you can set up to 1333, but that's only the limit; you can*t overclock and this feature is made for underclocking or false detected RAMs.

gtuma

Distinguished
Feb 11, 2010
I would very much like to get the QPI speed up from the 4.8 it is set at, but 4.8 is the highest option displayed. I was hoping a later version of the bios would allow one to increase this.

zoojar

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2011

Hi gtuma,

Did you ever manage to achieve this?

-dAVID