Noob looking to get into water cooling

Tags:
  • Water Cooling
  • Gtx
  • Components
  • Overclocking
Last response: in Overclocking
June 23, 2011 9:53:40 PM

So I've been looking into getting into water cooling for quite sometime, figured I'd make sure I'm looking at the components right and see if there are any better suggestions before I make my purchases.

First my system...

Gigabyte EX58-UD3R
Intel Core i7 920
Nvidia GTX 470 SLI
Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
Corsair HX850
Coolermaster HAF-932

And the components I've been looking at so far...

Reservoir:
XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay Reservoir

Pump:
Swiftech MCP655 w/ Speed Control

GPU Block (x2):
EK GeForce 470 GTX Cooling Block Nickel/Acetal

CPU Block:
EK Supreme HF Universal CPU Cooling Block Rev. 2 Nickel/Acetal

Radiators:
Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360
&
Black Ice GTX Xtreme 120

Any input on these components? Do they mesh well together? Metals mesh well together? Any better suggestions?

Any input is appreciated.

Thanks.

More about : noob water cooling

June 24, 2011 12:02:01 AM

At the moment, I'd stay away from any nickle plated EK products. They've been having issues with their plating process.

I'd go with blocks made either by swiftech, koolance or aquacomputer at this point in time.

Your metal selections are fine, what you want to stay away from is aluminum components. You're also going to want to look into some good fans for those radiators, a lot of people like to go with either yate loon or gentle typhoons.

Also, have you decided on your tubing diameter and what kind of fittings you'd like to use?
m
l
June 24, 2011 12:21:29 AM

I was aware of the aluminum problems but wasn't sure about copper and nickle plate discrepancies.Jaeger

I've been looking for 4 GT 120mm but they seem to be hard to find, at least in the US

Haven't thought about fittings or tubing yet, what is best with these components? (minus the EK stuff)
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

June 24, 2011 12:28:00 AM

djc5166 said:
I was aware of the aluminum problems but wasn't sure about copper and nickle plate discrepancies.Jaeger

I've been looking for 4 GT 120mm but they seem to be hard to find, at least in the US

Haven't thought about fittings or tubing yet, what is best with these components? (minus the EK stuff)

the plating issues are only with EK's nickle plated blocks. So the pure copper blocks would still be fine (or if you shop at performance PCS, they've got a gold plated block.

The sticky at the top of the forum has a list of sites, I'm sure you'll be able to find GT's on those sites, no problem.

Most people usually go with either 3/8" ID or 1/2" ID tubing and regular barbs, since they're cheaper. In the end it all comes down to preference.

Personally, I've got 7/16" ID tubing with compression fittings.
June 24, 2011 12:38:41 AM

Is one better than the other? Everything I've read doesn't really hype one size, it sounds pretty insignificant so far. I'm not going cheap, especially in regards to liquid cooling, it's worth doing right the first time.
m
l
June 24, 2011 12:53:12 AM

the sizing choices are generally just based on looks. There's almost no performance difference. Both types of fittings perform equally well, again, the choice between the two is based on looks.
m
l
June 25, 2011 3:47:08 AM

Got it down to these

Reservoir:
XSPC Dual 5.25" Bay Reservoir

Pump:
Swiftech MCP655 w/ Speed Control

GPU Block (x2):
EK GeForce 470 GTX Cooling Block Nickel/Acetal
Danger Den DD-GTX470 Full Coverage Block

CPU Block:
EK Supreme HF Universal CPU Cooling Block Rev. 2 Nickel/Acetal
Heatkiller Rev. 3.0 CPU Block
Backplate

Radiators:
Black Ice GTX Xtreme 360
&
Black Ice GTX Xtreme 120

Tubing:
Tygon R-3603 3/8" ID 1/2" OD Laboratory_Tubing

Fans (x4):
Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm x 25mm 1850 RPM D1225C12B5AP-15
(Do I need higher RPM/CFM fans for these Black Ice radiators?)

Anything else I need after all this besides barbs/clamps, liquid, and additives? Do I need a specific SLI connector? I couldn't find a specific one for the DangerDen Blocks, but most other companies seem to have their own.

Thanks.
m
l
a c 337 K Overclocking
June 26, 2011 11:05:22 PM

Quote:
Fans (x4):
Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm x 25mm 1850 RPM D1225C12B5AP-15
(Do I need higher RPM/CFM fans for these Black Ice radiators?)

I'd say those fans are on the lower end of what you'd want...likely 2000rpm or above to get the most out of BIX rads.
m
l
July 1, 2011 7:18:27 AM

Well took the plunge and ordered my parts. Not having a very good experience with aquatuning.

The corner of my package was ripped open... Everything seems to be in working order, but the back plate I ordered wasn't in the box. I don't know if it slipped out of the gaping hole in the box, or if it just wasn't there to begin with.

They don't seem to be very helpful in providing a replacement, they asked me for pictures of the box, which I sent to them, but I have yet to hear back in regards to a replacement.

Anyone have any good/bad experience with aquatuning? I'm pretty disappointed so far...
m
l
a c 337 K Overclocking
July 1, 2011 2:09:36 PM

Most people are pretty happy with them. I know for the most part the provide a lot of good alternatives in watercooling and most people are pretty high on them. Keep us up to date...curious on the customer service piece on this.
m
l
July 1, 2011 3:13:43 PM

djc5166 said:
Well took the plunge and ordered my parts. Not having a very good experience with aquatuning.

The corner of my package was ripped open... Everything seems to be in working order, but the back plate I ordered wasn't in the box. I don't know if it slipped out of the gaping hole in the box, or if it just wasn't there to begin with.

They don't seem to be very helpful in providing a replacement, they asked me for pictures of the box, which I sent to them, but I have yet to hear back in regards to a replacement.

Anyone have any good/bad experience with aquatuning? I'm pretty disappointed so far...

My experience with them was great. With the exception of one leaky 45 adapter, everything was perfect. The damaged box, however is the shipping company's fault, not aquatuning. I believe they ship ups, and I've heard they suck in the US, so your disappointment should be with them. I suspect that they'll still send you a replacement.

Good luck sorting it all out.
m
l
July 12, 2011 6:47:00 PM

I've given up with them. I've tried contacting aquatuning several times, but all I've gotten back (I usually didn't get a reply) was something along the lines of "we'll look into it".

Even if the shipping isn't their fault, their customer service is near non-existent. I highly recommend against anyone ordering from them if this is how they treat their customers. All I wanted was my 10$ back plate, I can only imagine what would happen if one of the water blocks fell through that hole, I'd be out 100$ while they perpetually "look into it".

Other than that their products and prices are good, but god forbid you have any problems, you're on your own...

edit:

Also in regards to the packaging, everything was crammed into what I can imagine is the cheapest/smallest box they could find. It might as well been made out of paper, no wonder it tore open. There was also no extra padding in the box apart from the bubble wrap the gpu blocks came in. Aquatuning is as much to blame as UPS, if not more.
m
l
July 17, 2011 6:47:33 AM

Came out quite clean looking for any one interested. Happy with 7/16 tubing over 1/2 barbs, the seal is extremely tight.
m
l
July 19, 2011 3:20:49 AM

Best answer selected by djc5166.
m
l
a c 337 K Overclocking
July 19, 2011 1:37:04 PM

Nice, clean looking build you have there. How are temps so far?
m
l
!