Quadro FX 580 vs GTS 250

Status
Not open for further replies.

andy55

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009
The GTX 250 is approximately equal to the Quadro 4800, which cost $1,600.00.

Nvidia Quadro FX 4800: Workstation Graphics At Its Finest? : Introduction

Workstation Graphics Cards and their Mainstream Equivalents Quadro

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/quadro-fx-4800,2258.html

If you do this for a living you cannot settle for a gaming card.. The drivers/tech support for a work station card are other worldly as far as proffesional apps go.

Even the lowest end work station card will beat the pants off of a high end gaming card (unless you mod the bios, which doesnt always work..). As far as 3DSmax goes the performance is smoother, the rendering is faster, and it is far more accurate. I'm not sure if you have ever tried to design 3d art on a gaming card but often times (due to poor drivers) as you zoom in and zoom out the textures never seem to line up quite right (they seem to overlap and slide around as the gaming card is made for speed in games, not accuracy in design), makes it very difficult to do anything other than hobby messing around. A profesional card is much much more accurate in endges and what not.

andy55

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009

So you mean i shud go with Nvidia Quadro FX 580 instead of GTS 250

halo549

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Get a 260 if you can aford it.
The 250 is so underpowered for todays standards.
I have a 3 year old 8800GTX ACS3 and it beats 2 250s in SLI.
IF your playing games get the 250.
If your doing CAD or creating MAP/MODS for games get the Quadro.

vince_1

Distinguished
Aug 12, 2009
Hope I'm not too late but I'd have to say go with the Quadro. They are designed for accuracy (rendering details) and supports Open GL and Shader Model extremely well; which is what you want. Gaming cards are designed for frame speed not accuracy!

Good luck!

G

I have a similar question. I narrowed my options to 4 video cards: GTS 250, GTX 260, GTX 275 and FX 580. I want to do 3d animation (Blender, Maya) and I am not interested in design accuracy or fast rendering times - I only want a fast 3d viewport that intstanly records every move I make on my models, with no lagging. From time to time I would also like to play some games (not a hard core gamer, not looking for extremes, just decent gameplay). What video card should I pick? GTX 275 and F5 580 are more expensive but if I were to choose between this two what should it be? Thank you

DevilMind

Distinguished
May 22, 2008
I have a similar question. I narrowed my options to 4 video cards: GTS 250, GTX 260, GTX 275 and FX 580. I want to do 3d animation (Blender, Maya) and I am not interested in design accuracy or fast rendering times - I only want a fast 3d viewport that intstanly records every move I make on my models, with no lagging. From time to time I would also like to play some games (not a hard core gamer, not looking for extremes, just decent gameplay). What video card should I pick? GTX 275 and F5 580 are more expensive but if I were to choose between this two what should it be? Thank you

why not just soft mod Gts 250 to Quadro ??

G

I've looked for the steps to do this, but can't find any clear cut answers. I have the GTS 250 that I ordered for my work pc that is exclusively used for CAD. I am disappointed at the performance. I have been reading up on SoftQuadro, but can't find any detailed instructions as to softmod this thing. If you can point me in the right direction, I would be forever grateful.

sk1939

Distinguished
The problem with not getting a real Quadro is you don't have the massive amount of professional support that you get with a Quadro card should something happen. Autodesk dosen't really support rendering on non Fire and Quadro cards, and if you call them they will tell you something along the lines of "your card is unsupported" because of accuracy issues.

The other problem with softmodding is that it sometimes dosen't work, or works with mixed results.

Finally, there is the fact that Quadros are Quadros because they are rock solid stable, due to a mixture of drivers and higher binned GPU's, which the GTS250 obviously dosen't have.

Arborman

Distinguished
Sep 13, 2010
@ halo549.

A GTS250 is a re-branded 9800GTX+(plus a few updated feature sets) which is based off the same chipset as the 8800 series. To say that your 8800GTX(with aftermarket air cooling) is faster than TWO GTS250's in SLI is completely asinine. Please educate yourself before trying to "help others."

And there is a simple answer to the main question. You use a workstation card in a workstation. A gaming card for gaming. There is a reason that there are two markets.

Status
Not open for further replies.