dethadder

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
i would like to overclock my q9550 to some safe frequency.......i know how to overclock bt can anyone tell me exact values of fsb,multipyer,voltage.
also...i have coarsair dominator gt bt i think its not running at its max frequency caus of ma cpu...so what should i do about it

MY RIG
Q9550 2.83GHZ
Asus P5P43TD PRO
4(2*2)GB COARSAIR DOMINATOR GT
SAPHIRE RADEON 6950 1GB
COOLER MASTER ELITE 430 WITH 6 120MM FANS
COOLER MASTER HYPERX 212 PLUS CPU COOLER
SEAGATE 1TB(500*500)HDD

and please tell me the list of softwares i would be needing as i have none of them

Solution
Nobody can tell you the exact values for overclocking. Your cpu and your motherboard, and even your ram will all play a part in it. Your cpu may do better or worse than average for that model.

Your cpu has a multiplier of 8.5. Assuming you have ram that will run at 800mhz, your maximum FSB is about 400, and that would run your cpu at 3400. Your cpu might top out at 3500, or it might go to nearly 4000, but your ram would be running pretty fast to get close to 4000. You might be able to push your ram beyond its rated speed by changing its settings too but that becomes more involved. (Or you might have faster ram or be willing to buy faster ram. I have a Q9400 overclocked to 3.8GHz and I bought faster ram in order to do that since...

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
Nobody can tell you the exact values for overclocking. Your cpu and your motherboard, and even your ram will all play a part in it. Your cpu may do better or worse than average for that model.

Your cpu has a multiplier of 8.5. Assuming you have ram that will run at 800mhz, your maximum FSB is about 400, and that would run your cpu at 3400. Your cpu might top out at 3500, or it might go to nearly 4000, but your ram would be running pretty fast to get close to 4000. You might be able to push your ram beyond its rated speed by changing its settings too but that becomes more involved. (Or you might have faster ram or be willing to buy faster ram. I have a Q9400 overclocked to 3.8GHz and I bought faster ram in order to do that since it only has an 8.0 multiplier.)

What I would do if it was me- I would download coretemp, cpuid, superpi, and prime95. All of these are free.

Go into bios and set your FSB to something like 360, set the ram to run at 1:1, and boot the machine. Run cpuid to confirm that the settings are what you want, and run coretemp to check the temps. Run superpi while watching cpuid and coretemp. If it runs OK and everything looks good, then reboot the computer, go into bios, and up the FSB by 10, then repeat all of this over again.

When you find a point where the temps are too high or the machine won't boot anymore, then back down to the previous setting, boot the machine, check the settings with cpuid and coretemp, and run prime95. If prime95 runs for hours, maybe even 12 hours straight without error, then you are there. If prime95 fails then lower your settings to the previous increment and do the prime95 test again.

Solution

dethadder

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011
thanks cadder.....above info was quiet helpful for me,
by d ve my ram is 1600mhz but runnin @1333mhz cause of cpu i guess,as my mobo supports 1600mhz,
and what will be the ultra safe voltage for ocing cpu according to you....i m usin cm hyper 212 pls cpu cooler as well as a cabinet with 6 120mm fans....
and what if i overclock without increasing the voltage?????

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008

yes and maybe

Some, maybe most, motherboards will automatically increase the voltage as you increase the speed. Higher frequency creates more heat, higher voltage creates more heat, so these 2 factors compound. Usually you have to increase the voltage in order to overclock, and sometimes when you have reached the limit of you overclock for your cpu, you can increase the voltage and go a little higher. You might or might not hit the heat limit before that. This is the reason that overclockers can get higher speeds with water cooling- they can control the heat better.

More recently there has been a trend towards power efficiency. People will overclock their cpu's and then start gradually reducing the voltage to try to have high speed with lower power use and heat output.

If you use cpuid as you are overclocking, it will tell you the voltage that the cpu is running at.

dethadder

Distinguished
Jun 23, 2011

thanks cadder......i hope my 1st occ will just go fine.