Gigabyte MA790FXT UD5P

Zehir

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2009
Alright just to get this out of the way, I recently just built a brand new machine and decided to go with this gigabyte board due to the bad experiences I've had with the MSI boards in the past. This is the most unstable build I have quite possibly ever had. Between random restarts (I am currently in the process of switching sticks as we speak to see if a timing issue or too much of DDR3 could be the issue), there's something that's really bothering me... I've read that most AM3 Processors do not like anything above 4gigs of memory with 1333 timings because of some kind of instability issue and or bottleneck? I had originally placed 8gigs at manual timings (with the help of Mushkin forums because I wanted to make sure I had the right timings) because the board would not recognize anything over 800. Is there any way for a complete 8gig utilization to take place even at 1066? If so, is it stable? No, I'm not using RAM on the list, soooo... That may be my bad, but I've always used Mushkin or Corsair. -shrug-

I've updated my BIOS to the latest non-beta version (F7). Is there anything that you guys could recommend to me? I'd really like to push these dual 5870s here realllly soon. =D

Zehir.

roonj

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
As you probobly noted those require a pretty high voltage over standard 1.5v, did you use 1.85 or 1.95 as they require?
Suggest you start at setting voltage for 1.95 than clock to 667 with one set 2x2. See how stable that is then add second set. See how stable that is. I just looked at newegg spec for the board which says 1333 std and 1600 as an overclock.
The current processor certification was measured for 2 ram chips not 4 as you noted but I'm not aware of it as a megabyte limitation.
The internal memory controller in the Processor is based on 1333 with ddr3 but you can run higher but the gains are minimal, something like 2-3%.
If you can get all 4 chips going at 1.95v then you can try backing down to 1.85 and see how that works.
A last note if you use the default settings for the ram and then boot usually you can see a EPP clock enable and EPP voltage enable setting available in the bios with the gigabyte boards. This entry will not be visible if you use manual settings which is why I said use system defaults and reboot.
Sorry looked one more time they say extreme suggesting the high performance is coded intel which means you may have to type in the 667clock 1.95v and the latencies for 1333.

morcillaking

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2009
Hi there.. well i have the same MOBO and i had some issues config the memos...

so i think i can help... As you know this MOBO works with 1600 speed OVERCLOCKED, so i u can get 1333 it´s fine..

Try to get the memo´s volt @ 1.9 and change the speed @1333 then make all the timing..... you may need consult the official page of your MEMOS...

To get the 1600 speed it´s hard and i´m telling you i´ve tried.. it´s simple compatbilty.

if your not compatible at all you just have to keep with 1333...

After all the MOBO it´s quite good....

see ya