Non-Gaming build for under $600

mountie

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
I have a terrible feeling like this build is going to fall apart or explode if I build it for a family member, and was hopeful to get some re-assurance that it won't...

His needs are very basic (ie web browsing, microsoft office, and music and pics) and his only request is for the computer to last for 8+ years, and has a budget of just under $600 before a monitor.

Software is being re-used to save some cash, but these components seem too good to be true, and I need some expert guidance before buying this week...

Western Digital Caviar Black WD6401AALS 640GB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5": ( $70 free ship)

G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model F2-8500CL5D-4GBPK - ($55 free ship)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231166

COOLER MASTER RS-600-AMBA-D3 600W ATX12V V2.3 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Modular Power Supply ($110 + ship) - $40 Combo with Cooler Master = ($70 + ship)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171036

COOLER MASTER Centurion 5 CAC-T05-UW Black Aluminum Bezel ATX Case: ( $50 free ship)

AMD Phenom II X4 940 Deneb 3.0GHz Socket AM2+ 125W Quad-Core Black Edition Processor Model HDZ940XCGIBOX ($190 free ship)

BIOSTAR TFORCE TA790GX 128M AM3/AM2+/AM2 AMD 790GX HDMI ATX AMD Motherboard ( $110 - $20 Combo with PII 940 = $90)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813138130

WHERE DID ALL THE DVD DRIVES FROM NEW EGG GO??? + $50

This brings me to $585 after shipping...

Is it going to explode if I put it together or is it a decent deal?

I am most worried about the keeping the CPU cool with only the stock heatsink and only 2 fans in case, but even without any overclocking will it be ok?

I understand AM2 is going out of style, but I've included a AM3 compatible MOBO is case he brings it up in the future. DDR3 ram doesn't really seem worth it for his use.

Should I be worried about integrated graphics being enough for a 22" monitor? (He only games with solitare...)

Thank you for any and all input!

mdale13

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
alright for starters, a DVD drive is not $50 as you have estimated.

you REALLY dont need a 600w PSU for that build. not at all.

i dont know, that build isnt bad, but i feel like you could get a lot more for $600. i am at work, but ill throw together a parts list later, though im sure another member will beat me to it :)

royalcrown

Distinguished
No it won't explode. If anything fails it'll likely be 99.99 percent within the first couple weeks and you can exchange it. alsi integrated graphigs will work, my buddy games age of conan on his samsung 22".

mountie

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
mdale - 2 DVD drives are around $50. I can't pass up a 600 watt, 85%+ efficiency PSU for $70. Lower wattage will only only save me bout $10...

Can anyone point me in the right direction on where else to buy DVD drives? Newegg is OUT of the LGs and LiteOn's I usually buy...

For better cooling and a significantly better PSU you should take a look at this combo
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.197379

It will save you $40 over the one you are currently looking at. Also as its not for gaming a triple core should be more than able to support anything he can throw at it
http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboDealDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.205337
That motherboard and processor combo saves you another 90, 10 of which will go towards switching to DDR3 but it will last longer and give more future cheap upgrade options

mountie

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
I have built the computer and everything is running fine! Thank you to everyone who assisted!

But I have now run into a snag... I need an operating system. I had an old Win XP Home edition, but no validation key and there are better versions availible for $99.

The end user of the computer really really prefers Win XP and would ideally want to skip over Vista and go straight to Win 7. But I have seen a free upgrade coupon from Vista to Win 7 and don't want to end up paying extra for an obsolete OS (Win XP)... The thing is I have NO experience in Vista and have only heard negative things, I am afraid it may be a little complex for him to use? Is it really as bad as everyone makes it out to be?

Should I try to tell him to suck it up and go with Vista for a few months until Win 7 comes out? Or ideally I want to find a really cheap Win XP to hold him over for a while.

Where is the best place to purchase OS's???

Thanks in advance!

Any suggestions here on operating systems would be very helpful.

You can either use the RC for a few months and then do a fresh install when the retail version comes out as suggested by hunter315, or you can get Vista SP1 with a free upgrade coupon to Windows 7. I, personally, would go the Vista to Windows 7 route since you can do an upgrade instead of a fresh install (even though a fresh install is always preferred).

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium SP1 64-bit for System Builders w/ Tech Guarantee - OEM
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832116677 $109.99

No, Vista is not nearly as bad as the uninformed would have you believe. Most people who have actually used the OS know that it's a very stable OS, especially since SP1. I've never had any stability or compatibility issues at all with Vista on either of my computers, including my old backup computer with a 2.8GHz P4 and 1GB of RAM. Windows 7 RC1 does run a little smoother on that old system, but it was usable with Vista also.

mountie

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
I guess if I partion the drive so they can store their files and do a clean install of Win 7 when it comes out it will not be half bad....

I didn't think that the Win 7 RC would be stable enough to operate as the sole OS on a computer?

Although this may be a question better posed to the software forums... With 4gb of RAM and PII 940 CPU, should I go with 32 bit or 64 bit OS? I have quite a few compatibility issues with programs on my 64 bit Win 7 RC... Will the 32 bit system be better?

Their useage revolves around microsoft office, web browsing, picture editing, and making cds and dvds...

I currently use the Windows 7 RC on two computers and both are completely stable. I haven't experienced any hardware or software compatibility issues with my 64-bit Windows 7 system. 64-bit is the only way to go on a new system with 4GB of RAM IMO. It would be a shame to not be able to use all 4GB or have the option of adding more RAM later if needed/wanted. 32-bit is going the way of 16-bit.

mountie

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
OK... I installed the 64 bit Win 7 RC.

Problem # 1 - I can't stand windows holding my hand and asking me three times if I REALLY REALLY want to let a programs execute a command. So I put the settings at "NEVER ASK"... Has everyone else done this? Will i really be super vunerable to viruses? Windows XP did just fine without holding my hand through everything.

Problem # 2 - The desktop needs to be able to access a wireless network... I purchased an ASUS pci wireless card (wl-138g v2). But there is no driver compatible for Win 7 64... After surfing around the web it looks as though a lot of others have had the same problems with the Vista 64 drivers not working with Win 7. And the only solution is to manually create drivers myself...not it...

Can anyone recommend a wireless solution for a desktop that is compatible with Win 7 64?

Thanks again!

I've seen some people reporting online that the wl-138g v2 works with 64-bit Windows 7. Have you tried plugging a cat-5 cable into your computer and seeing if Windows finds a driver? Windows 7 is very good at finding drivers through Windows Update.

Fortunex

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2009
1) Yes, I have also disabled the UAC. Annoying as hell to have to agree three times to let a program install.

2) Not experienced in wireless networking, sorry.

Latest posts