Sign in with
Your question

Western Digital Blue Cavier or Samsung Spinpoint F3

Last response: in Storage
March 14, 2011 6:29:57 PM

I picked up a WD10EALX on Friday for my new system build,

Western Digital Caviar Blue WD10EALX 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 6.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

It sounds like there are some reliability problems with that WD. Would the Samsung be a better choice?

SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E1682...
a b G Storage
March 14, 2011 7:01:14 PM

In all honesty, most of the "reliability" posts, reviews, and complaints are very much personal experience from a specific user. It is human nature to complain loudly and thank in silence, which makes research quite difficult some times.

In general, failure rates are quite low across hard drive companies with a few outliers (from each company). Keep in mind that any drive you buy WILL FAIL. Any drive you buy can fail right out of the box, 10 minutes later, or just after you copy all your data on to it.... so backup backup backup!

Once you have your first failure, you will start to build a strong opinion of the company, but until it fails, you will have a growing positive opinion of them, and maybe loyalty after a few years. Humans are fickle like that.

Chose one based on price and performance ( and warranty ) that suites your needs.
m
l
March 14, 2011 11:55:43 PM

The Samsung Spinpoint T3 seems to be a very popular drive judging by the number of people using it on the New Builds forum, however it's SATA 3.0 GB/s. The WD is rated SATA 6.0 GB/sec.

From the numbers I've seen SATA 6.0 GB/sec drives are no faster than SATA 3.0 GB/sec. Will the performance of these newer drives likely improve with a driver revision?

m
l
March 19, 2011 6:00:07 AM

I'm an Western Digital fan and I was checking out the 1TB WD Blue drives.
But I bought the Samsung HD103SJ as it seems more reliable.
m
l
!