Sign in with
Your question
Solved

How to reset a sata drive as a master drive

Last response: in Components
September 27, 2009 3:37:17 PM

I had an external hard disk and i installed an XP on it, and unplugged it. then when i restarted my pc, it said no drive found. then i checked the bios, it shows the hard disk as third ide master, but not as the primary master. Now how do i reset my internal hard drive of my pc as the primary master. I have a SATA drive and its not having any provision for making it a master or slave, there are no pins visible at the back. any ideas..what should i do..??

Best solution

September 27, 2009 5:23:57 PM

SATA drives do not have slave / master settings - and the order of boot / discovery is down to which SATA port they are connected to.

IDE drives on the other hand are slightly different. IDE cables can support 2 x drives each - te first one being the master and the second being the slave.

Your mobo will have two IDE ports and at the moment your drive is in the second one as a slave. Change the mobo socket it is connected to and also chaneg the small jumper on the back of the drive - it should have a diagram on the side to show which two pins you need to "short" to make it master
September 27, 2009 6:34:37 PM

also check the 'boot order' in Bios, you might or might not be able to set the external drive as a first boot device
m
l
Related resources
October 7, 2009 1:17:50 PM

suhasmishra said:
I had an external hard disk and i installed an XP on it, and unplugged it. then when i restarted my pc, it said no drive found. then i checked the bios, it shows the hard disk as third ide master, but not as the primary master. Now how do i reset my internal hard drive of my pc as the primary master. I have a SATA drive and its not having any provision for making it a master or slave, there are no pins visible at the back. any ideas..what should i do..??

Hi, I tried the way you said, I could restart my hard drive, i removed the SATA and put in the IDE drive, then i installed the XP operating system, updated to SP3, after that i decided to put the SATA drive as the slave, but as soon as i connected it, my computer doesnot even boot now. My question is will the pc behave in a absurd manner if i connect a IDE drive with a roudn pin power cable and connect a SATA drive with a SATA power cable, will this kind of a connection make the pc unstable, or bust the power supply or something like that. The pc just doesnot want to start even after remove the SATA drive. Any ideas..! where did i go wrong..???
m
l
October 7, 2009 1:33:56 PM

I use maxblast for my maxtor hardrives. The cd can be used as a bootdisk. It allows you to choose how to setup a new drive with your primary hardrive, or make an exact copy.
m
l
October 8, 2009 8:00:34 AM

Check in the BIOS on your HDD settings. I tend to leave mine as "AUTO" if you have IDE and SATA devies connected to the mobo.

Which motherboard do you have ? I know from past experience that you usually have three options

AUTO / AHCI / IDE - if you leave it set to auto you should be fine

m
l
!